Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coco1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Hi. I have recently installed a dosdude Catalina patch on an unsupported Mac and I want to remove it and get back to my old OSX El Capitan. The dosdude patch is performing lots of glitches and I don’t want it anymore. Is there anyway I can get back to my normal Mac?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi. I have recently installed a dosdude Catalina patch on an unsupported Mac and I want to remove it and get back to my old OSX El Capitan. The dosdude patch is performing lots of glitches and I don’t want it anymore. Is there anyway I can get back to my normal Mac?
To switch back to El Capitan you'll need to completely erase your disk. When you erase it, all of the DOSDude patches will be gone.

Reactions: SigEp265

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you don't understand a basic operation like "erase the disk", you should have never been fooling with dosdude stuff in the first place.

What you need to do:
- Back up your personal data (it will disappear when you erase the drive)
- Get ahold of a copy of El Cap. I'd try here:
Get El Capitan
- Get a USB flashdrive 16gb in size
- Use the free app "install disk creator" to create a bootable flash drive with the El Cap installer
- Boot from the El Cap install drive
- Open disk utility and erase the internal drive to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format)
- Once erased, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
- See if the OS will install
- If it does, create a new account.
- Now it's time to "manually migrate" stuff from your backup. Migration Assistant won't work.

If you don't understand this, then you need to get someone to help you locally.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Coco1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
If you don't understand a basic operation like "erase the disk", you should have never been fooling with dosdude stuff in the first place.

What you need to do:
- Back up your personal data (it will disappear when you erase the drive)
- Get ahold of a copy of El Cap. I'd try here:
Get El Capitan
- Get a USB flashdrive 16gb in size
- Use the free app "install disk creator" to create a bootable flash drive with the El Cap installer
- Boot from the El Cap install drive
- Open disk utility and erase the internal drive to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format)
- Once erased, quit disk utility and open the OS installer
- See if the OS will install
- If it does, create a new account.
- Now it's time to "manually migrate" stuff from your backup. Migration Assistant won't work.

If you don't understand this, then you need to get someone to help you locally.
Thank you so much!

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
For what its worth, I have the catalina patched running on a 5,1 and I think its better than mojave .....
But I dont think i'd try it on an even older mac without a little research...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.