Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I was watching an Apple Web Seminar on Aperture: Streamline your work flow after the shoot", trying to get an idea of Aperture is right for me. About 10 minutes into the 30 minute lecture an Aperture developer says something to the effect of how well Aperture runs on the 30" ACD, but to really get the "true" experience of Aperture you should see it run on dual 30s. He then says that regardless, it's possible to really get a good feel for the workspace on the single display.

I thought that was a cute way of saying that Aperture is best with dial 30" displays which in my opinion is not a necessity for all photographers or people using Aperture. But just to kill my curiosity, is anyone using Aperture on say a 20-24" display who is upset about the screen workspace?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I was watching an Apple Web Seminar on Aperture: Streamline your work flow after the shoot", trying to get an idea of Aperture is right for me. About 10 minutes into the 30 minute lecture an Aperture developer says something to the effect of how well Aperture runs on the 30" ACD, but to really get the "true" experience of Aperture you should see it run on dual 30s. He then says that regardless, it's possible to really get a good feel for the workspace on the single display.

I thought that was a cute way of saying that Aperture is best with dial 30" displays which in my opinion is not a necessity for all photographers or people using Aperture. But just to kill my curiosity, is anyone using Aperture on say a 20-24" display who is upset about the screen workspace?
Before getting my 30" last month, I was working on a single (boo hoo:p ) 20". I had been using that setup since the release of Aperture, and it worked just fine for me. I'd certainly recommend it, as dual 30"ers are not really an option for most photographers.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I started out using Aperture on a 20" iMac and was perfectly happy. Yes, when I got my 30" ACD I was blown away by seeing my images on that monitor, and, yes, it's great fun working on them in it in terms of screen real estate and such, but it really is NOT a necessity for anyone to have one 30" ACD, much less two of them, unless they're professionals doing extensive work day-in and day-out. A friend has dual monitors, a 30" ACD and a 19" monitor he transferred from his former Windows PC, and is very happy with his setup. Sure, I'd love to add a second 30" ACD to my setup, but that's not going to happen!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I use it on my 15" MBP. Sure, it would be great to have a bigger monitor, but with full screen editing it works out OK.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
While I am by no means a professional photographer, I use it on my 13" MacBook. However, I use it mainly for cataloguing my photos, and do most of my editing in Photoshop. Although, I can only dream of how nice it may be on one 30", let alone dual 30's.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
i recently watched the seminar about apple cinema displays. they dude doing the presentation wasnt that great, stumbling with his words, sometimes struggling, perhaps loosing track of what he was talking about, etc.

Displays are nice though hehe.

I hope to add a 30" ACD to my 15" MBP next year, pretty much solely for use with aperture... god knows what else :)

freeflydrew

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2004
ny
I just picked up the 23 inch ACD with a Mac Pro and it's super nice... I think the advantage of having 2 displays is that you have the 2nd display always showing the full screen version of your selected photo for editing, rather than having to toggle back and forth between full screen and not full screen.

2 displays, necessary? no... Significantly speeds up workflow? yes

30 inch displays necessary? not really

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.