Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
This is just MY experience and under my working needs.

What I do:
Graphic design: illustrator, photoshop, lightroom, indesign, dreamweaver. No 3d, no video editing.

When I use the MBP?
I use a 2017 iMac as main machine, so the pro is for travel or when I want to leave my desk and work somewhere else (not happen so much really).

Overall design:
Like it! Thinner, lighter, the space grey it´s great, really like it. On paper the numbers look close to the old design, but in hands there's a difference.

Screen (15 inch) and speakers:
Retina, but better. Like it!. Speakers, wow! love them, actually don´t using much the mbp for music or movies, but I have to say, they sound amazing.

Trackpad:
Giant and like it, but in my case, I always use a mouse, so the trackpad is useless for me when I´m working. And for general use or browsing, it´s not really necessary the new size.

Touchbar:
I like the concept, but not the real life usage. I tried to use it in Photoshop but I find myself getting distracted from the work I´m doing. I set it to default (always show the classic buttons) but it´s really anoying can´t control the brightness!.

Keyboard:
Like it! Feels more accurate than the old one, I think I can type faster...

Ports:
I only use 1 usb to plug the mouse… never used the sd card on the old one and the HDMI maybe a couple of times to watch movies, but lately don´t use it really. For me it´s not a problem the lack of traditional ports.

Price:
My first option last year was buying the 15" MBP 2017 + LG 5K. But then I realised that I can spend the same amount (even a little less) buying the 5K iMac 2017 + the mbp 2015. For my use, the second option was better. Two machines and the great 5k screen.

Conclusion:
I like the new macbook pro but it doesn't feel like the old one. I'm talking about the feeling, no the aesthetics.

With many problems that I read from the keyboard and popping sounds, I found myself trying to use the less posible the mac… or closing windows in my office to avoid dust...

For me, it's absurd. With the 2015 I never had that feeling, I remember being so excited for the upgrade (use to have the 2011 model). I sold the 2011 and never look back.

With the 2017 my experience was like:
"ok, are you going to fail or I´m one of the lucky ones? let´s see..."

Maybe I got contaminated for so many post, videos and blogs complaining about the keyboard failing and all that; with the 2015 I did not search for anything, I just bought it (in fact I have to replace my 2015 for video issues!).

In my case the iMac is my beast and the mbp the backup/travel option. I don´t find anything that I can do on the iMac and not in the Pro. Of course under my needs.

This 2015 love can´t last forever, sooner or later, I´ll have to jump into the new macbook pro (or any alternative?), maybe in 2019, maybe in 2020...

Let´s see what´s next apple...

Last edited:

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
About 6 weeks ago, I finally replaced my 2008 MacBook (unibody aluminum) with a 2017 MBP. I was skeptical for a LONG time because of what people were saying on these message boards. People that probably don't even own one. I absolutely love the new keyboard (using it for 2 minutes while hunched over the table at the Apple Store doesn't do it justice at all). The thinness and sturdiness are fantastic. Lack of ports? Who cares. I rarely used any of them on my old MB, and care even less that I've started using iCloud for Photos and other documents.

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt, because, in the end, it's what Apple spends millions on R&D vs. this plethora of opinions from people that are annoyed that their Mac Mini hasn't been updated. Sometimes I hate Apple, too, but sometimes I think they're just way to far ahead of the curve in some regards.

2009 27-inch iMac still going strong, btw. Same with iPhone 6+

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Until it happens and its a week out of AC and you have a £500 bill to foot.

See how happy you are then. Not worth spending £2600 on a laptop your frightened to use. You do right OP the new ones will be out soon see what they bring.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I kind of feel like I'd be the same way, and I really can't be bothered with mollycoddling a computer. It's there for me to use, not worry about washing my hands before I use it every time, keeping it immaculately clean and not letting it get too hot lest that cause a key to fail :/

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I kind of feel like I'd be the same way, and I really can't be bothered with mollycoddling a computer. It's there for me to use, not worry about washing my hands before I use it every time, keeping it immaculately clean and not letting it get too hot lest that cause a key to fail :/
For what it’s worth (grain of salt), I know a dev who is not known for taking care of her machine whatsoever. She has a 2017 MacBook Pro (15”), and hasn’t had any problems with it. Somehow she has managed not to destroy it. I don’t know if it’s blind luck or if we’re all just paranoid.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
For what it’s worth (grain of salt), I know a dev who is not known for taking care of her machine whatsoever. She has a 2017 MacBook Pro (15”), and hasn’t had any problems with it. Somehow she has managed not to destroy it. I don’t know if it’s blind luck or if we’re all just paranoid.
In fairness I have borrowed a couple of the machines to see how I got on with typing on the keyboard for more than a few minutes in store, and I didn't notice that there was anything wrong with the keys as well so technically in my own experience they've been fine... I am just quite wary due to the volume of reports, and the fact I know I would use the machine more for typing than many others perhaps would. I expect I will eventually take the plunge, though it would be a bit inconvenient I suppose I could always take a magic keyboard with the laptop if worst came to worst!

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
The thing is its not blind luck is it, there is inherent issues with the fact when debris get stuck in the key it breaks the mechanism. The instructions to clean are pretty much useless.

Its not really a non issue especially when a 15" is £900 more than a dell XPS 15 which has a fast graphics card... Then apple care is another lump on top and I wouldnt be without it on these machines.

Also its not like its not known about, getting rid might also be a problem.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.