Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lybentius

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2021
04BE78B0-99A7-44BD-A421-ED5D3A52B462.jpeg
I picked up my iPhone 13 Pro just the other day and I've been absolutely loving it so far. I know I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted share.

I never understood all the early hate the new phones received. There's only so much a company can and is willing to do to stay profitable on a yearly upgrade. If you have a notched iPhone then you're not gonna feel the need to upgrade as much as us notchless iPhone folk. And if you have the money to burn then why not. I upgraded from an iPhone 7.

• Design
    • Personally I like the more squared off design (My all-time favourite iPhone design is the iPhone 5s).
    • It's really not that comfortable to hold, especially compared to any of the iPhones with rounded edges but it's not a deal breaker.
    • The shiny stainless steel sides are pretty. I don't care about fingerprints. That's what your shirt is for.
  • Performance
    • I upgraded from an iPhone 7 and everything is so snappy! Hundreds of safari tabs don't make safari laggy!
  • Screen
    • I pretty much splashed the extra cash on the 13 Pro instead of the 13 for the 120Hz screen and I have to say I notice it all the time. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice? Definitely. Buttery smoooooth.
    • I love how sharp the display is and just having more screen is great.
    • On another note: does anyone else think the extra space below the keyboard is ugly? Well I was thinking the same thing but then realised it's probably to allow the keyboard to be higher up on the screen to prevent needing to have your hands super low for typing and risk having the phone being top-heavy and tipping over.
  • Battery
    • I'm sitting at around 6 hours on screen time from 85% to 23%. I'm enjoying not having to plug in so often!
  • Cameras
    • I haven't had a chance to really test out the cameras yet but the amount of detail you can capture in low light is incredible. Thinking about doing an iPhone 7 vs 13 camera comparison video.
If you also upgraded to the 13 Pro from an older phone feel free to share your experience!

Attachments

• 8CB81A43-92F5-44D4-B78A-91CDE87C0A71.jpeg
    8CB81A43-92F5-44D4-B78A-91CDE87C0A71.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 2,680
  • B8AEF805-66D4-449E-B86C-FD8DD58BD43E.jpeg
    B8AEF805-66D4-449E-B86C-FD8DD58BD43E.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 698
  • 20AD9EAA-F9AB-4694-8B45-9FE771055CF0.jpeg
    20AD9EAA-F9AB-4694-8B45-9FE771055CF0.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 576
  • 1A43E9AA-4167-406B-829B-B5AAA2009D12.jpeg
    1A43E9AA-4167-406B-829B-B5AAA2009D12.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 613
  • 3BA982DD-1C37-4756-B370-91E2AD7254D8.jpeg
    3BA982DD-1C37-4756-B370-91E2AD7254D8.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 729
  • 3A7F256A-A778-4BBF-8471-3E47761FE30C.jpeg
    3A7F256A-A778-4BBF-8471-3E47761FE30C.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 595
  • 0B8B73F3-C3C8-4B77-A007-7CED18F43FF8.jpeg
    0B8B73F3-C3C8-4B77-A007-7CED18F43FF8.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 649
  • 97F4569C-9081-4242-AD99-31935E25120D.jpeg
    97F4569C-9081-4242-AD99-31935E25120D.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 720

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah....I agree 100%. My 13 Pro Max has unseated the iPhone 4 as my favorite iPhone of all time. It's really only an "S year" in design. Other than the recycled design, which I love anyway, it's a massive upgrade.

I don't even mind the slight extra weight coming from the 12 Pro Max. It translated into a phone that has now TWICE saved my butt when I forgot to plug it in overnight--even after heavy use, it seems to have true 2 day battery life.

I will also admit that part of my love for this phone might just be that I love my new OtterBox case. I have never had one of their cases before in my life, and I love this Symmetry-whatever I have this year. The current phone design with this case is just really pleasing to hold and use, even though the phone is gigantic and slightly heavier than I'm used to.

That's not to take away from the crazy amounts of horsepower under the hood and in the cameras and all the other stuff. This thing is more like an iPad Pro mini than an iPhone. I do legit work on it. I even have a Bluetooth profile for it at my desk in case I want to type an email or something without thumb typing.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
Just got my Sierra Blue Pro max 256GB, wanna try the cinematic mode and ProRes. I love the phone, waiting for it to come used MS Surface duo, one month with that Android phone was very inefficient for me. I am very impressed with Apple backup system, as soon as I entered Apple ID, the phone restored itself to my previous iPhone up to last call on that iPhone and a wallpaper I used on that phone, just great, everything went seamlessly and fast. One month with Android seems like a past nightmare, really :)

Reactions: lybentius

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I was quite debated about the color to choose, and the new one was tempting but at the end I bought the white/silver

The sierra blue is stunning. Not quite pure blue, it looks like a steely grey. I wasn’t sure when it was announced but now it’s my favourite ever iPhone colour.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I have the same phone. The pictures always make it look grey, but it’s a beautiful blue color, IMO. I was debating between the space grey and Sierra Blue, but every time I look at my phone, I know I made the right choice.

Reactions: Bethanie21

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
View attachment 1920400 I picked up my iPhone 13 Pro just the other day and I've been absolutely loving it so far. I know I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted share.

I never understood all the early hate the new phones received. There's only so much a company can and is willing to do to stay profitable on a yearly upgrade. If you have a notched iPhone then you're not gonna feel the need to upgrade as much as us notchless iPhone folk. And if you have the money to burn then why not. I upgraded from an iPhone 7.

• Design
    • Personally I like the more squared off design (My all-time favourite iPhone design is the iPhone 5s).
    • It's really not that comfortable to hold, especially compared to any of the iPhones with rounded edges but it's not a deal breaker.
    • The shiny stainless steel sides are pretty. I don't care about fingerprints. That's what your shirt is for.
  • Performance
    • I upgraded from an iPhone 7 and everything is so snappy! Hundreds of safari tabs don't make safari laggy!
  • Screen
    • I pretty much splashed the extra cash on the 13 Pro instead of the 13 for the 120Hz screen and I have to say I notice it all the time. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice? Definitely. Buttery smoooooth.
    • On another note: does anyone else think the extra space below the keyboard is ugly? Well I was thinking the same thing but then realised it's probably to allow the keyboard to be higher up on the screen to prevent needing to have your hands super low for typing and risk having the phone being top-heavy and tipping over.
  • Battery
    • I'm sitting at around 6 hours on screen time from 85% to 23%. I'm enjoying not having to plug in so often!
  • Cameras
    • I haven't had a chance to really test out the cameras yet but the amount of detail you can capture in low light is incredible. Thinking about doing an iPhone 7 vs 13 camera comparison video.
If you also upgraded to the 13 Pro from an older phone feel free to share your experience!
Cool. But you already covered it with a case. What’s does the color or the shiny stainless sides matter anymore. You won’t enjoy it again.

MuckrakerJG

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
@acblue94, I totally understand your point, I thought I would rock my 13 Pro Max 1 TB naked to show off the amazing blue and I did just that for a while. It's a highly personal choice, but I just bought the Golden Brown leather case and Golden Brown wallet on impulse during a Black Friday sale and the combo is growing on me.

-I think the almost orange color of the Golden Brown is a perfect fit for the Sierra Blue which you can still see on the camera bump. It's an amazing contrast. Orange and Blue are common sports team colors like Syracuse for a reason, they just go really well together. I even put a credit card with a dark blue color to it as the one that you see sticking out of the wallet, so it goes blue, orange and then a tiny bit of blue again.

-The orange case just really makes it pop and I've caught people glancing over when I take my phone out because it looks different than the typical black or graphite you usually see. I understand some people don't want attention though.

-The leather case makes it grippier and easier to hold, and then having the wallet on it gives you something else that sort of nestles into your hand and makes it feel nicer to hold one-handed.

-The leather case has these really clicky side buttons that feel great and I think are nicer and easier to find than the naked buttons or even the ones on the silicone case.

-The stainless sides don't get fingerprints anymore like it would if it was naked.

But again, highly personal choice, you can't go wrong, really. 13 Pro or Pro Max is such a good phone regardless of what it looks like.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
@acblue94, I totally understand your point, I thought I would rock my 13 Pro Max 1 TB naked to show off the amazing blue and I did just that for a while. It's a highly personal choice, but I just bought the Golden Brown leather case and Golden Brown wallet on impulse during a Black Friday sale and the combo is growing on me.

-I think the almost orange color of the Golden Brown is a perfect fit for the Sierra Blue which you can still see on the camera bump. It's an amazing contrast. Orange and Blue are common sports team colors like Syracuse for a reason, they just go really well together. I even put a credit card with a dark blue color to it as the one that you see sticking out of the wallet, so it goes blue, orange and then a tiny bit of blue again.

-The orange case just really makes it pop and I've caught people glancing over when I take my phone out because it looks different than the typical black or graphite you usually see. I understand some people don't want attention though.

-The leather case makes it grippier and easier to hold, and then having the wallet on it gives you something else that sort of nestles into your hand and makes it feel nicer to hold one-handed.

-The leather case has these really clicky side buttons that feel great and I think are nicer and easier to find than the naked buttons or even the ones on the silicone case.

-The stainless sides don't get fingerprints anymore like it would if it was naked.

But again, highly personal choice, you can't go wrong, really. 13 Pro or Pro Max is such a good phone regardless of what it looks like.
Yep. For the last couple of years or so, I've actually felt like my iPhones don't really need cases anymore. But I also have a large dog who's still really a puppy doing crazy things like trying to steal my iPhone out of my hoodie pocket and run around the house with it just to make me crazy. (He digs negative attention, or any attention at all, really.) These new stainless side rails they're creating now though--man, they seem almost indestructible unless you drop the phone on concrete or something.

I went with Otter Box this year. I've been a Speck fan for the longest time but their designs have really started sucking and have become unpleasant to use. This Symmetry case I'm using on my 13 makes it feel almost like there isn't a case AND it's super easy to take off and put back on if I want to admire/use my phone without it. Kind of checks all the boxes for me.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

These two points do really well to illustrate why I always end up in an Apple leather case. I was lying on the couch watching a movie to wind down last night and found myself just clicking the buttons on my phone even though it was locked and face down on my stomach. They're just so satisfying.

Regarding the wallet, my usage has evolved to only having it attached when I know I'll need it otherwise it remains in a hidden cubby in my car but when I am carrying it, it just feels so much more secure when it's stuck on the leather case vs. anything else I've tried.

Oh yeah, and beautiful phone you got there OP.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
View attachment 1920400 I picked up my iPhone 13 Pro just the other day and I've been absolutely loving it so far. I know I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted share.

• Design
  • Performance
  • Screen
  • Battery
  • Cameras

I originally upgraded to the 13 from the se2. Was an amazing upgrade, but something was lacking. I ended up giving it to my mother and turning her into an iPhone lover. And purchased the 13PM. I do not regret it at all. I got the same color as you. I’m still super stoked just as you are. This thing is a beast. I can get almost 24 hours worth of battery. I’m a very heavy user. Pubg mobile, sims, Apple Music and YouTube and more. Apple really made a good device this year in my opinion. Congrats to you on your new 13 pro. It’s a beauty!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I was also contemplating the SB color but I also ended up with a silver 13 Pro Max. I love the color contrast between the silver sides and the white back.
Do the plain stainless silver bands still get lots of scratches on them, or did that end after rounded-edge design? I loved the look of the silver sides and white back on my X and XS Max, but always hated how they got all scratched up just from me taking the case off every couple of months to wipe all the pocket lint and other gunk off of everything. For the 11 Pro Max I gave up on the idea of ever being ok with that look and switched to the black coating, which remained flawless the entire time I had the phone.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Do the plain stainless silver bands still get lots of scratches on them, or did that end after rounded-edge design? I loved the look of the silver sides and white back on my X and XS Max, but always hated how they got all scratched up just from me taking the case off every couple of months to wipe all the pocket lint and other gunk off of everything. For the 11 Pro Max I gave up on the idea of ever being ok with that look and switched to the black coating, which remained flawless the entire time I had the phone.
The stainless steel sides can scratch easily.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Congrats! That’s a massive upgrade. So much changed from the 7 to 13 Pro it’s hard to list them all. I really love the cameras. I take way more photos than I ever have previously. Also agree on the ProMotion display…not a necessity but an absolute necessity lol. I think the 13 Pro will go down as one of the truly great and memorable iPhones. It feels so polished.

lybentius

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2021
Yeah....I agree 100%. My 13 Pro Max has unseated the iPhone 4 as my favorite iPhone of all time. It's really only an "S year" in design. Other than the recycled design, which I love anyway, it's a massive upgrade.

I don't even mind the slight extra weight coming from the 12 Pro Max. It translated into a phone that has now TWICE saved my butt when I forgot to plug it in overnight--even after heavy use, it seems to have true 2 day battery life.

I will also admit that part of my love for this phone might just be that I love my new OtterBox case. I have never had one of their cases before in my life, and I love this Symmetry-whatever I have this year. The current phone design with this case is just really pleasing to hold and use, even though the phone is gigantic and slightly heavier than I'm used to.

That's not to take away from the crazy amounts of horsepower under the hood and in the cameras and all the other stuff. This thing is more like an iPad Pro mini than an iPhone. I do legit work on it. I even have a Bluetooth profile for it at my desk in case I want to type an email or something without thumb typing.
Will have to check out those cases! Glad you’re enjoying it as much as I am ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.