Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The description needs to be improved. Why should I use this app. Tennis is one of the easiest games to score, and I don't want to be going to my watch between every point. What's the purpose for the app? What problem does it solve? You description answers none of those questions.

Austin Conlon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
The description needs to be improved. Why should I use this app. Tennis is one of the easiest games to score, and I don't want to be going to my watch between every point. What's the purpose for the app? What problem does it solve? You description answers none of those questions.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll rewrite the description in the next update. While keeping score yourself on the Watch isn't ideal (having someone else do it, say your friend on your paired iPhone is) I figured the 5 seconds or so after a point is enough for someone to tap the top half of their Watch screen or the bottom half without it interrupting the flow of the game.

It's easy for an experienced player to keep track of an individual game score in their head. However, I suspect that mentally keeping track of the current game score, number of games won by both players, and number of sets won by both players simultaneously is enough of a distraction from gameplay to justify the Watch app existing. And players who are new to the sport have to do that in addition to dealing with the scoring system's quirks (30 incrementing to 40 rather than 45, remembering that ad in is for the server and ad out for the receiver).

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That was a good answer, and your description will be a lot better if it models that. I believe that one of the skills that makes people stand out in business (and app writing is a business) is the ability to articulate the reason their product deserves to exist. If you can explain that very well, you won't have to sell your product--people will want it.

RC Mike

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2015
Just wanted to say that I like it! I normally track my games on Tennis Match Point by Snazzy Software, but I really like the scoring on the watch. I've been playing competitively for 25 years, so I don't usually forget the score. It happens, though.

TMP is likely a piece of abandonware. You should check it out. Some of what it does could be incorporated into your app. What I like about TMP is it records my scores playing different opponents, and gives me stats on the basics of how I'm performing over time. If yours could track who I'm playing and compile the stats over time, I could see paying $5 for it.

On a side note, your app very much reminds me of a watch I had as a kid that kept score of games and sets. Fun trip down memory lane!

Reactions: Austin Conlon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.