Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hi all. I am considering selling my MacBook Pro and building my own gaming/workstation PC. My rationale is that my MacBook Pro sits docked for the majority of the time and so I might as well switch to a desktop. The Mac mini and iMac could fit my needs but it is a fact that I can build a more powerful system for cheaper on the Windows side. I am very much undecided on this and am looking for any feedback you might. I have a few questions. These are for everyone but I would appreciate feedback from people who have successfully made the switch. What do you miss most about MacOS? What do you find appealing about Windows 10? Overall, what advice do you guys have? Thanks.

Also, if I do sell my MacBook Pro, what would be a good price point to start with? It is a July 2018 MacBook Pro w/ TouchBar 13". Quad core 2.3GHz i5/ 8gb RAM/ 256gb SSD.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Sounds like you don’t use any apps specific to macOS, nor need any of Apple’s integration.

I use both Mac and Windows. Some of my takeaways.
1. Use SSD. Windows 10 has a ton of background services running compared to older versions of Windows that it will easily bog down any hard drive. I’ve seen windows machines where the hard drive is at 90-100% activity all the time. This ruins the user experience. So whatever system you’re building, invest in fast SSD no matter what others might say. The last thing you need is waiting for your souped up system to boot up or update for minutes to no end.
2. When you first install Windows, pay attention to all those analytics Microsoft will ask you. Disable all of them if you can. There will be leftovers in the settings so make sure you comb them as well. And also uninstall those candy crush crap games that Microsoft is bundling in.
3. Be aware of drivers and other silent crap. 3rd parties tend to include even more crap with their drivers. So go through your services and start up list and be vigilant on what’s in there.
4. Prepare to download extra apps to do things you take for granted on the Mac. Eg. Editing PDFs. You will need to find a paid program or some open source app to do that. Be prepared to also install drivers like printer drivers, etc, before connecting the device.
5. Don’t bother with any other anti virus software. Use the built in Windows Defender.
6. Don’t disable auto update. Sure, Windows update is highly annoying, but you’re now one of those highly targeted OS used by the mainstream. So make sure you always get the latest patches and ant virus definitions. I’ve seen too many people on Windows that think they’re smarter than Microsoft, and then wonder why their system is slow or have malware.

Personally, I don’t mind Windows, but I am more productive on a Mac due to the Mac way workflow making more sense to me than Windows’.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Be wary. Do you ever use it portably? Even if you use it once or twice a month as a laptop, you'll miss it. There's a difference between choosing to dock a laptop to a more comfortable desk setup and having to be tethered.

Same with Apple's ecosystem, it's only when it's gone and you miss your content for example going from your iPhone to your Photos library on the Mac smoothly you'll wish you still had the Mac. Some people are more bothered by this than others, so think about how you'd feel about it, but the ecosystem is doing so much constantly behind the scenes that you might not appreciate it until it's gone. Nothing else in terms of seamlessness exists, unfortunately. I wish it did.

I mention because these two things brought me back to the Mac a few times at great expense and hassle. Windows 10 looks just as good on the surface, but in my experience it was just an illusion. You have a pretty good spec nearly new MBP. Don't give it up is what I say.

But if you must go, I say for a month (no less), run bootcamp with W10 on your MBP, docked. Don't allow yourself to use it as a laptop whatsoever. When the sun is shining and you'd like to sit out the back and work on something, nope, head to your room and sit there (with a desktop it'll be the only choice). Install Steam and your games on the MBP, play them as much as you envisage you will with a gaming PC. Even if you need low settings for the MBP as Macs aren't ideal for gaming. Ban yourself from using macOS at all. Move all your content to the PC partition (or copy it) If you're finding it a great experience, then a gaming PC will improve it. Then it's worth your money.

Then you'll know you truly won't miss macOS or having a laptop.

They're two completely different worlds. Windows has its benefits, gaming is one of the few. Desktops have their benefits, but convenience isn't one of them. Two opposite ends of the spectrum. So please trial it similar to how I've suggested before parting with that phenomenal machine, as you might not like the far off fields which seem green.

Keep us updated. And if you're in the UK send me the eBay link for your MBP, would consider it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.