Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Well.. totally confused these days.

I'm leaning towards used market since M2 doesn't seem that much of a deal over M1 and getting M3 later on seems like a better decision.

So, I need a macbook for coding. (iOS development and front-end mostly React) It will mostly stay on my desk at home. However sometimes I travel too, let's say once in every 2 to 3 months. The other thing though I really like gaming but i'm not into AAA titles. Mostly I play strategy games and MMORPG and also definitely going to get SnowRunner when it hits macOS market.

Budget is flexible but trying to go low these days because we've just recently moved to another country (UK). Lastly, I really want to get my hands on US keyboard not any other EU layout.

What you say? Maybe a 16" M1 Pro? For coding, having a larger screen on the go relieves your burden a bit more.

baoguo87

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
I recommend 16-inch apple macbook pro, a larger screen size is better for eyes, especially you staring at the screen for long time. furthermore, the larger keyboard is more comfortable for typing.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Well.. totally confused these days.

I'm leaning towards used market since M2 doesn't seem that much of a deal over M1 and getting M3 later on seems like a better decision.

So, I need a macbook for coding. (iOS development and front-end mostly React) It will mostly stay on my desk at home. However sometimes I travel too, let's say once in every 2 to 3 months. The other thing though I really like gaming but i'm not into AAA titles. Mostly I play strategy games and MMORPG and also definitely going to get SnowRunner when it hits macOS market.

Budget is flexible but trying to go low these days because we've just recently moved to another country (UK). Lastly, I really want to get my hands on US keyboard not any other EU layout.

What you say? Maybe a 16" M1 Pro? For coding, having a larger screen on the go relieves your burden a bit more.
Will you have access to an external monitor? If so, the 14” is more portable and will save you some money. If not, then you’ll probably want the larger screen for coding. Performance wise, they are essentially the same.

Reactions: Basic75

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
So...My recommendation is to get the 14 inch and the M2. It is really amazing. I opted for the MacBook Air because I already have a dock that my computer sits in anyway. Plus, I didn't need the slightly extra power it gave because I only use the Mac for Xcode and flight planning. The external Monitor is great if you have access to one. The Air can only do one external monitor, but that's all I really need, I can't see a reason, for me anyway, to have more than one monitor.

Reactions: Tagbert

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Lots of comments while i wasn't here. Probably i'll go with the larger screen although i have an external display at home, but i'm working from home to a company in another country and also visit my parents living abroad quite often.
M1 Pro seems an ideal candidate rather than M2 Pro. Don't know when we'll see M3 though. Does M2 worth it actually?

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I just found a bargain for a used 13" mbp M2 8/256 with US keyboard layout and didn't want to miss it and got it. It may not be enough later on for heavier projects but it will save the day and I can sell it for more and go for a 16"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.