Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burglit14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Ontario
Hello!
I have read a few threads (I'm new to this forum as of right now) but I still don't have a clear answer to what I need. I currently have a Macbook Air (primary computer) and an iphone 7plus. I am looking to get an ipad for the following reasons: To watch Netflix while running on treadmill (at home on wifi) and I travel a lot for work, so would like to maybe store 1-5 movies and/or tv shows at a time if I am without wifi. I don't think I would need the storage space for photos, music, as I have my phone and Macbook. Not a gamer at all, aside from a couple of word games maybe....I can't find anything online that puts it into perspective for me, for [example 32gb= 3 movies and 100 photos vs 128gb + 100 movies and 1600 pictures] Please let me know what advice you have- thanks so much!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
How long do you plan to keep this ipad? If you’re keeping it longer than a couple years then the extra storage could benefit you down the road. I plan to have mine for awhile and got the 128gb model, it’s got my Apple Music library on it plus some shows and movies, and since I’m on the road a lot for my work, I store a lot of my Netflix shows on it

Already passed 50gb if usage on it

Reactions: Burglit14

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
iOS 12 is around 6GB. If you're gonna store go with the 128GB. HD movies are around 5-6GB. One of the movies I have stored is Black Panther movie which is close to 6GB. Other normal HD is like around 5GB (regular is about half that size). When I was using my 32GB iPad I could only store maybe 2 movies max and that's when I deleted a lot of Apps. A few times I had to contact Apple because the iPad would stop downloading because of the size. It was very frustrating.

If you look around iTunes movie store it will tell you how large the files are.

Messenger can be another large app if you message a lot. My iPad has about 32GB filled; 2 movies at 10GB and the rest apps (26GB). I still have tons of space left.

I would go with the 128GB.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I went with 128 GB. I know that 128 is a lot and yes in general I could have made it work with 64 GB too, but not with 32. I would not store movies for long periods of time on the iPad, but I do some times go on a week long business trips and I would store some movies to watch while traveling as well as while on a trip.

I also don't want to rely too much on cloud as my iPad is WIFI only and I don't always have Internet access.

Burglit14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Ontario
Thank you so much!
[doublepost=1544998707][/doublepost]Thank you all so much for your replies, looks like the 128GB wins...better to have more than not not enough :) Biggest concern was being away for business and wanting to have some movies/tv stored.
[doublepost=1544998819][/doublepost]
iOS 12 is around 6GB. If you're gonna store go with the 128GB. HD movies are around 5-6GB. One of the movies I have stored is Black Panther movie which is close to 6GB. Other normal HD is like around 5GB (regular is about half that size). When I was using my 32GB iPad I could only store maybe 2 movies max and that's when I deleted a lot of Apps. A few times I had to contact Apple because the iPad would stop downloading because of the size. It was very frustrating.

If you look around iTunes movie store it will tell you how large the files are.

Messenger can be another large app if you message a lot. My iPad has about 32GB filled; 2 movies at 10GB and the rest apps (26GB). I still have tons of space left.

I would go with the 128GB.

Thank you- this really helps put it into perspective :)

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
if plan on selling soon, 32gb makes sense given that you are asking for input here. If you plan on keeping it for a year or two, 128gb is a better deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.