Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
So, after more than a year in photography I think I am capable enough to take good photos, but I'm still learning. I know I can get excellent recommendations here, so this is my situation.

Next week I'll have to take some photos of a store interiors. It is a kids store (toys, bed, etc.) The expectations is to get photos that would eventually be part of commercial spots either in newspapers or magazines.

Now, I have the equipment I could need, but I would like some overall recommendation on what makes a good interiors shot. What things I must be careful about? Should I include a model? Or just emphasize in what the store sells?

Thanks for the help.:)

Apr 10, 2007
maybe a polarizing filter to prevent glare off of shiny objects?

im not sure just throwing something out there.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Actually, I think this is great advice. Haven't thought about it, but this should help if there is a window which is showing some reflections, doesn't it?

The store has some nice decoration at the windows, so this can be helpful.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
probably a warming filter, as the store light can be harsh sometimes?

also, think of time, especially if you want to have people on the pictures. kids = in the afternoon, maybe? speaking of this, i am also not sure whether or not you may need any permission of ppl photographed. or are you using models?

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
How much better is a warming filter compared to just editing later in Aperture? I do have one, so I'll definitely take it.

As for you last comment, I haven't really thought about it. I was just asked to take the photos, nothing about models or kids appearing. I wouldn't think having a model (meaning an adult) is a good idea, but a kid could definitely make the photo much better. Does hiring a kid model much different as for hiring an adult model? I'm guessing speaking with the mom is involved, but what else?

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Turn all the lights on, especially the floor lights, bed lights, wall lights, every light that will be in the photo has to be turned on. If they are too strong replace the light bulbs with smaller ones.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
How much better is a warming filter compared to just editing later in Aperture? I do have one, so I'll definitely take it.

As for you last comment, I haven't really thought about it. I was just asked to take the photos, nothing about models or kids appearing. I wouldn't think having a model (meaning an adult) is a good idea, but a kid could definitely make the photo much better. Does hiring a kid model much different as for hiring an adult model? I'm guessing speaking with the mom is involved, but what else?

Contract or non-release contract (legal opinions differ- talk to your counsel- but make sure they understand the arguments for and against a contract,) signed by the legal guardian.

The best interiors are shot replacing the lights with strobes- so that you don't get uneven lighting, and so that you get relatively consistent color temperatures from each light. It's lots of work and requires lots of lights and triggers. If you can't do that, then white balance is likely to be no fun unless all the lights are relatively consistent- but even then you're not going to have control of intensity. Bracket all your shots, you never know when you're going to need to do some local adjustments in post because of something you missed onsite. Bring a ladder, shoot from low, mid and high perspectives. If there's an ad director, make sure you communicate with them before, during and after the shoot- and even if you disagree with their ideas, get their shots first, then deviate and present your ideas with theirs after the shoot. Made the AD happy, and you'll get repeat business, piss them off and you'll have issues getting work again.

Ensure that either you have someone to clean, or they have someone to clean available- floors, shelves, re-arranging products by size, color or just arranging them more aesthetically. Make sure they know you're spending time on the tiny details, it'll justify your fee. Cover product placement for important, cool or hot selling products.

Make sure your liability insurance is up to date and that your contract with the client pins the liability there as much as possible. Ensure you have a release for anyone in the pictures, even employees, but ensure the contract makes it their responsibility to get them. Make any product trademark issues theirs too. Make sure the contracts all put it on them, then make sure your insurance will cover you if they don't do their part. Make sure the contracts cover copyright ownership and usage rights for both parties.

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm talking about, but since others have mentioned uneven lighting issues, might this be a reason to take some bracketed exposures for possible HDR treatment later?
Also, if there will be any exteriors of the storefront, consider when the best light will be there, to avoid harsh or partial shadows, etc.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm talking about, but since others have mentioned uneven lighting issues, might this be a reason to take some bracketed exposures for possible HDR treatment later?
Also, if there will be any exteriors of the storefront, consider when the best light will be there, to avoid harsh or partial shadows, etc.

I think the inequality in lighting will come from one light being warmer/cooler or brighter/darker than the next, not an overall exposure issue. You could solve the problem in Photoshop, but it'd be more complicated than plain old HDR. A light HDR treatment might be worth trying though.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd like to know what equipment you have. Reason being is that I've done interior architectural shots and quite frankly, I needed more than just a few fancy lenses.

BTW you can never replace ****ing up lighting a shot with post processing in aperture.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You could solve the problem in Photoshop, but it'd be more complicated than plain old HDR.

It's a rare shot indeed where you can solve a mixed lighting problem in Photoshop. You can hope to minimize the effect, but your'e going to have areas where tones just don't work because they're closer to one temperature lighting source than another. Solve is waaay too strong a word for what you can do to try to rescue an image- let alone an image with a printing deadline!

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going tomorrow to try some shots and see what I could need. I'll post back and show you what I got, so you can give me advice.

I'd like to know what equipment you have. Reason being is that I've done interior architectural shots and quite frankly, I needed more than just a few fancy lenses.

BTW you can never replace ****ing up lighting a shot with post processing in aperture.

I have a Nikon D40x, in lenses I have a 50mm f/1.4 (which I think will be the most helpful), the kit lens, a 105mm Micro-Nikkor that could work for some tight shots, a 24mm f/2.8, and a telephoto which I don't think I'll need.

As for lighting, I have the SB-600 and two umbrella flashes. The store isn't that tall, so this should be enough to light the store. Tho I'm thinking only with the natural sunlight I could make it. The store has big windows, so plenty of light gets in. I also have a good tripod with me.

Does the hour matters here? I'll go at 12 in the noon tomorrow.

And some other doubts I'm having, is wether tight shots are more convenient than wide ones. I've seen many photos announcing beds were you only see a portion of the bed and usually a lamp appears to a side to add composition to the photo. What do you recommend here?

Thanks.:)

Nikon Shooter

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
advice

You must -

use a rock solid tripod
use custom white balance setting
shoot in High Res. RAW
use low iso setting
shoot on manual mode
bracket you exposure
f8+
dress the set
make your subjects feel comfortable.
show passion and confidence.
shoot from different angles
adjust images in post.
..think about using color balanced strobes to enhance the overall light.
...think about bringing a laptop to instantly view the images.

NS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.