Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
A friend of mine is doing the website for a local band, and he asked if I'd be interested in shooting some promo shots of the guys. I happily agreed, since I need money, and experience... However, if any of you have seen my gallery or my site, I don't shoot people very often. And I've never done band promotions.

So what I'm asking is if anyone here has any basic advice for the shoot tomorrow evening (6pm). I know that's a broad topic, but any hints would be greatly appreciated. We'll be shooting outdoors mostly, in the downtown area of the city, since there's some old buildings and factories there...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Play with the backgrounds...it's hard to make a guy holding a guitar (or whatever instrument) look interesting. Think of the interesting background as another member of the band who has to be in the shot. :p

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I think it really depends on the type of band it is...I did a shot of a band at our school (which was an underground/rock band). We got permission to go into the dirt field infront of some old warehouse/factory, and I did group shots looking up at them from the side...it looked really cool.

The enviroment is one of the most important things when you are shooting a band- it has to reflect their music.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
124_holland_09.jpg

^ The use of background...

And go for odd angles or really far/close shots. Take a load of them.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
MacsomJRR said:
I would use hollow points in something like a handgun. Sure they are messy but the effect is quite spectacular.

hah..... it took me a bit to figure this one out...... wow i am slow....... i was thinking those were photography terms i was unfamiliar with

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
taytho said:
hah..... it took me a bit to figure this one out...... wow i am slow....... i was thinking those were photography terms i was unfamiliar with

He's got to watch it, for sometimes those sorts of jokes....backfire

boom3.jpg

-hh

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
seenew said:
A friend of mine is doing the website for a local band, and he asked if I'd be interested in shooting some promo shots of the guys. I happily agreed, since I need money, and experience... However, if any of you have seen my gallery or my site, I don't shoot people very often. And I've never done band promotions.

So what I'm asking is if anyone here has any basic advice for the shoot tomorrow evening (6pm). I know that's a broad topic, but any hints would be greatly appreciated. We'll be shooting outdoors mostly, in the downtown area of the city, since there's some old buildings and factories there...

PM sent.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
If you are interested, clicking this link will bring you to a page on my site where there are photos I took of two recent local concerts. These are my first adventures in concert photography, but maybe you could get some ideas still, even if they are things you don't want to do :p

Take a ton of photos, that way you'll have a lot to choose from afterwards.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
seenew said:

I see I'm too late. But my advice was to listen to their music, a lot. and then listen some more. Then to figure out what the band is about musically then try to figure out how to communicate that in a picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.