Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logan10101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
i got given a 2008 MacBook a1278 yesterday with no hardrive in it
so i did the logical thing and put a known formatted hardrive in (spare one from my windows pc and it comes up with a flashing file symbol I've held alt/options down on startup and it comes up with a white background and a cursor if i click n on the keyboard it comes up with a hardrive with a globe ontop and its been like that for almost 2 hours now not doing anything at all apart from blinking I've pugged an ethernet cable in but with no success any ideas of what to do ive got no other MacBook's or apple products so cant make a bootable drive the normal way ive tried on my windows pc using transmac software and a 16gb usb drive but again with no success is someone can help pls contact as my hair is going grey

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A 2008 MB can't do "internet recovery".

I would suggest OS 10.11 "El Capitan" for it.

El Cap may be available here:
You need a USB flashdrive, I suggest 16gb (or larger).

This process is best done on another Mac -- do you have access to one?

There are ways to do it on a PC (I've read, never tried), but it's a complex process and results aren't guaranteed. Looks like you've found that out.

You can also go on ebay. There are sellers there who will sell you a "pre-configured" bootable USB flashdrive with the OS of your choice on it. Will run about $20.

logan10101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
A 2008 MB can't do "internet recovery".

I would suggest OS 10.11 "El Capitan" for it.

El Cap may be available here:
You need a USB flashdrive, I suggest 16gb (or larger).

This process is best done on another Mac -- do you have access to one?

There are ways to do it on a PC (I've read, never tried), but it's a complex process and results aren't guaranteed. Looks like you've found that out.

You can also go on ebay. There are sellers there who will sell you a "pre-configured" bootable USB flashdrive with the OS of your choice on it. Will run about $20.
hello I have a 16gb usb flash drive and I've tried putting mountain lion on it but using a windows pc as i have zero access to a mac and ye it didn't work, but even if it did work i don't get how to select which drive to boot to because when do the command to select which drive to use nothing comes up its just a blank screen

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You said you were given a 2008 Macbook with no drive in it.
The fact that it was "given" to you (with the drive removed) might indicate that it had other internal problems.
Just something to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.