Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerensaraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I got my Nikon D40x in December 2007, i've had used many times without problems and now when i'm in a dark place my Nikon D40x doesn't want to turn on the flash and when i'm in a light place all the photografy are dark, i've had tried many thing and nothing works please HEPL!!:(

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
i've tried everything and nothing works HELP!!

Did you buy the camera locally? If so, drop by the shop and ask. If not, is there a reputable camera shop nearby? If so, drop by and ask. Establishing a good relationship with a local shop is a good idea even if you find a solution in these forums.

If you've tried resetting the camera's settings back to defaults and are still getting these problems it may be difficult for others to help without taking a billion wild guesses.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
I got my Nikon D40x in December 2007, i've had used many times without problems and now when i'm in a dark place my Nikon D40x doesn't want to turn on the flash and when i'm in a light place all the photografy are dark, i've had tried many thing and nothing works please HEPL!!:(

Wild guess #1: Have you set exposure compensation to a strong negative value?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i've tried everything and nothing works HELP!!

"everything" really?

try these tests...

Go outside in the daytime around mid day and shoot a random scene using these exposure setings

Iso = 800, f/4.0 1/2 second. -- This image should be anything but dark, A total over exposed white out.

Take another exposure using the "sunny 16 rule:
http://www.camerareview.com/templates/sunny16.cfm

Next put the camera on auto mode, take the same image at you did using sunny 16. and tell us what exposure the camera selects. and how the auto and sunny 16 images compare.

Let us know what you find out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.