Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
So I have been playing with this camera since I bought it.:)

But I have this problem: sometimes I am not able to increase the shutter speed. Most of the times the maximum it would let me select is 1/200. But sometimes, and I really don't know why, it would let me select 1/4000.

I am using it in complete manual mode, so I really don't see what the problem could be.

Thanks,

macourteau

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Canada
So I have been playing with this camera since I bought it, and it is as if we were in love.:)

But I have this problem: sometimes I am not able to increase the shutter speed. Most of the times the maximum it would let me select is 1/200. But sometimes, and I really don't know why, it would let me select 1/4000.

I am using it in complete manual mode, so I really don't see what the problem could be.

Thanks,

I don't own a D40x but a quick Google search said the D40x's X-Sync speed with the flash is 1/200s, so I'm guessing those pictures when you're limited to 1/200 is when the flash is active? ;)

The D40x's x-sync speed for flash use is 1/200 second, down from the D40's 1/500 flash sync speed.
(from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D40X/D40XA5.HTM)

Basically, the X-Sync speed is the fastest speed the shutter can be open for the flash to expose the complete frame. If you were to shoot faster with a flash, then a part of your image would be darker (less exposed, because the flash didn't register for that part of the image).

I know that some cameras (such as mine, a Canon EOS 30D) offer a "high speed sync" feature that lets you go faster than the X-Sync speed (I successfully went to 1/1000 with that feature on my camera although the X-Sync speed is 1/250), so you might want to look into that for your camera. :) It's good to know though that high speed sync basically bursts the flash multiple times to expose everything so that is killer for battery life.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I don't own a D40x but a quick Google search said the D40x's X-Sync speed with the flash is 1/200s, so I'm guessing those pictures when you're limited to 1/200 is when the flash is active? ;)

Yes, this is the problem. I should have noticed it.:eek:

Thanks for the help,

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Another question:

How can I increase the x-sync? It seems the D40x does not has the available option to put "high speed sync".

Would getting an Speedlight increase the x-sync?

Thanks,

macourteau

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Canada
I believe the x-sync speed has to do with the camera's shutter mechanism, and not the flash attached to it, but then again I am not sure (and I use a Canon camera).

You would have to either see with a Nikon user or read your manual to see if it's mentionned.

WardPhotography

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
So I have been playing with this camera since I bought it.:)

Thanks,

I think my problem is not being able to read the display screen and then being able to tell what the speed is or how to adjust it. I see so many people write 1/200 and so on but how do you read that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.