Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Hello,

I own a canon 20d. I shoot with the tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the kit lense. I assisted last season as a second shooter and built my portfolio with these two lenses. Next season I will be acting as a second shooter and also leading some weddings on my own. I like the tamron I have. But it's time to add a better wide angle zoom to what I have.

Now I understand that there are some lenses that are designed specificly for crop factor involved with non-full frames sensors like the one in my 20d. I would like to if possible purchase a lense that will work on my 20d and on a 5d if I happen to purchase one in say 2 years.

I also need whatever wide angle zoom I buy to be fast. Idealy atleast f2.8. And

I would also like this magical lense To be under $500. (or close as possible)

Give me the world, and give it cheap.

Thanks

And since I want

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I don't think it's going to happen at your budget. That said, 3 lenses come to mind. The first two involve keeping the tamron and switching.

The Canon 16-35 f/2.8, but that's over $1300.

The Canon 17-40 f/4, better at <$700.

Or getting the 24-70mm f/2.8 to replace the Tamron. I love this lens and I really want one. Gonna rent it when I get the chance.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Give me the world, and give it cheap.

Thanks

And since I want

Good non-50mm f/2.8 lenses tend to generally not fall into the under $500 category. Perhaps you can find out what the primary shooter is using and try that as a guide?

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Now I understand that there are some lenses that are designed specificly for crop factor involved with non-full frames sensors like the one in my 20d. I would like to if possible purchase a lense that will work on my 20d and on a 5d if I happen to purchase one in say 2 years.

So you want an EF lens, not an EF-S. Fair enough. Just be aware that a lens that is "standard" mounted on a 20D becomes an ultra wide when mounted on a 5D, which means it may not be as useful on the 5D.

Good luck with that. Those two specifications are pretty much self-contradictory.

You have, basically, three main choices in the Canon stable: the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 (yes, I know, but it does serve the immediate need, and you won't lose a great deal of money on the resale, especially if you treat it well); the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L; and the EF 17-40mm f/4L. These cost (RRP, Australian dollars) $2000, $3000, and $1500, respectively (approximately). If f/2.8 is important to you, I'd suggest the 17-55mm. If you can cope with f/4, the 17-40mm is a better choice, especially for a long-term move to full frame. If you absolutely have to have f/2.8, and absolutely have to have a full frame lens, you're shelling out the big bucks. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..But it's time to add a better wide angle zoom to what I have.

A lens that is "wide" on a full frame camera, say a 24mm is not going to be all that wide on a an APS-C sized camera. I think at the very wide end of the range you will just need a lens for each sensor size.

I would think that if the lens is to be used professionally you could justify a bit more budget What you ned costs roughly double $500. Or hunt down a good used lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.