Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmaultsby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I am really getting into digital photos and so far I am using Apples I-Photo but I also have a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my scanner, which I notice I have more touch up options than I do with I-Photo but my camera downloads to I-photos. I am new to this so if the experts can help I would greatly appreciate it. One problem I am having my pictures do not print correctly from Photo Shop My 4x6 prints would print the opposite way. What am I doing wrong. Or is Photo shop just a photo editor and I print my prints from I-Photo? And what is the deference between Adobe Photoshop & Apples Aperture?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Photoshop is just an editor, which by the way is much more powerful than iPhoto.

Photoshop is strictly an editor, as Apple's Aperture is mainly for organizing and light editing. If you were looking into getting Aperture, I would stay with iPhoto since you are asking these questions. Aperture is for the professional and can indeed be *very* confusing and overwhelming to the average user.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
PS Elements is a "light" version of Photoshop and is usually referred to as "Elements" or "PSE" in order to differentiate it from Photoshop. Since there is now v.4 available, I suspect that many more things could be done with that than with v.2. PS and PS Elements are photo-editing programs primarily, whereas Aperture and iPhoto also include other functions. Aperture is geared towards professionals or serious amateurs who have many images with which to work, including light editing and cataloging.

There is a way you can change the default so that your camera does not automatically send all of its images right into iPhoto. For instance, I upload all of my images first into a folder in Finder > Pictures and then I upload them again into Aperture. I never use iPhoto.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
kmaultsby said:
I am really getting into digital photos and so far I am using Apples I-Photo but I also have a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my scanner, which I notice I have more touch up options than I do with I-Photo but my camera downloads to I-photos. I am new to this so if the experts can help I would greatly appreciate it. One problem I am having my pictures do not print correctly from Photo Shop My 4x6 prints would print the opposite way. What am I doing wrong. Or is Photo shop just a photo editor and I print my prints from I-Photo? And what is the deference between Adobe Photoshop & Apples Aperture?

iPhoto has a feature where you can tell it which image editor to use when you double click on a photo. Elements would be a very good choice. That way you can organize and do some light weight adjustments in iPhoto and if you really need to change anything you double click the image and then that image will be exported to Elements where you can make some changes t it that are sent back to iPhoto

You also have the option to set another program as the default program that is used to download images from a camera. iPhoto is the default but you can change that to Image Capture or maybe even the program that came with your camera. Going straight into iPhoto is not a bad option for most people if you set Elements as iPhoto's editor

Aperture is like a bigger ad more complex iPhoto just as Adobe's CS2 is a bigger and more complex Elements. So the difference between Adobe Photoshop & Apples Aperture is the same as the difference between iPhoto and Elements. What's confusing is that the features overlap

About 4x6 vs 6x4 prints. You will have to be more specfic about what you are doing. All I can say without knowing more is "Use the print preview feature to check before actually printing".

kmaultsby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
What I am saying my prints come out the opposite way they come out portrait instead of landscape.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
kmaultsby said:
What I am saying my prints come out the opposite way they come out portrait instead of landscape.

Sounds like you just need to play about with the options until you get it printing correctly. In elements, print this the 'Print with Preview' command (in the file menu) so you can get an idea of what it will look like when it is printed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.