Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old cholo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
So. California
can i cut a part of a picture and past/resize to fit in another pic in i photo???
can i color and repair old b/w pictures??
do i need to buy the photoshop for mac cs2?
im a nube be gentile
i used nova photo explosion on my old ps and it was EASY
photo shop is a sun of a gun
thanks in advanc:confused: :confused:

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
You will need photoshop for this stuff. You can do simple retouching within iPhoto but you are limited. It's mainly a photo library program with a few simple effects added.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
You can't do this in iPhoto.

You will need something like photoshop, but you probably don't need CS2. The much cheaper photoshop elements should be fine for you.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
as much as i like adobe's line, they are just expensive. if you won't do too much editing like this, gimp will do you good. it's free :)

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
as much as i like adobe's line, they are just expensive. if you won't do too much editing like this, gimp will do you good. it's free :)

I second this one, Gimp is great for most stuff.

But if you really want to buy Photoshop, just remember that they aren't universal binary yet, so Photoshop runs under emulation on intel-macs. That means it will run a little bit slow. The upcoming Photoshop CS3 is going to be universal, so if you have to buy photoshop, wait for it. A universal PS Elements should be arriving at some point, too.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
can i cut a part of a picture and past/resize to fit in another pic in i photo???
can i color and repair old b/w pictures??
do i need to buy the photoshop for mac cs2?
im a nube be gentile
i used nova photo explosion on my old ps and it was EASY
photo shop is a sun of a gun
thanks in advanc:confused: :confused:

Iphoto is for storing and cataloging photos and for making very minor adjustments.

But you can tell iPhoto to use a default editor. You set this in "preferences" then when you double click on a photo that editor statrs up.

For the work you want to do Adobe Photoshop Elements would be just fine. You don't need the full up PS. Also Gimp would be just right too. I actually like Gimp's user interface better and Gimp is free.

Yes, any program that you are used to is EASY. Try Gimp or Elements both are easy to use and will work seamlessly with iPhoto.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I'm a long time Gimp user and recomend it for some uses but I have to disagree about Adobe being expensive. "Elements" has everything a photographer needs and the full retail price is about $80. Not that bad. But you can get it for nearly free because it is bundled with some products. It come with some scanners and the Wacom graphic tablet. If you find one of these bundles it's a great deal but even at $80 not to bad.

I keep asing photographers what in the full PS thaey use that is not in Elements. I get very few answers.

Gimp's only real limitation is that it can't handle "deep color" that is more than 24 bts per pixel. This is a bit of a problem for people shooting RAW with a DSLR. Not a killer because you can work around it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.