Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
I just upgraded to an iPhone 13 Pro from an iPhone X and while I really appreciate the 120Hz display, amazing cameras and the overall design… I really miss Force Touch. Tap and hold is just not the same. The place I find this most apparent is the torch and camera buttons on the Lock Screen. Anyone else feel the same?

Sad face.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I have missed it ever since I got my 11 Pro two years ago.

Just had the thought this morning how much I missed it.
The main thing that is completely terrible in comparison is the flashlight and camera buttons on the home screen. I hold my phone in my hand all the time. Without force touch, those buttons get pressed unintentionally all the time.

This is not a problem with force touch.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Force Touch was too unreliable. Long tap is much more reliable.

Also, when nobody copies you technology, you know it’s a lemon. Nobody copied Force Touch.
Unreliable? How so? I found it to be perfectly reliable since the first day of owning my X right up until yesterday when I retired it!

Reactions: macintoshmac

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
I have missed it ever since I got my 11 Pro two years ago.

Just had the thought this morning how much I missed it.
The main thing that is completely terrible in comparison is the flashlight and camera buttons on the home screen. I hold my phone in my hand all the time. Without force touch, those buttons get pressed unintentionally all the time.

This is not a problem with force touch.
Yep, that’s exactly how I feel. I also find I can’t activate the camera button reliably on the Lock Screen on my 13 because I’m trying to push it - because that action felt so natural to do. Tapping and holding just feels janky in comparison.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I just upgraded to an iPhone 13 Pro from an iPhone X and while I really appreciate the 120Hz display, amazing cameras and the overall design… I really miss Force Touch. Tap and hold is just not the same. The place I find this most apparent is the torch and camera buttons on the Lock Screen. Anyone else feel the same?

Sad face.
While I do miss Peek and Pop and I think the Lock Screen buttons were way better with 3D Touch, I will say that you do get used to Haptic Touch eventually. Just a few weeks ago I was using my buddy's iPhone X and though something was broken because the button wasn't working when I pressed and held!

Also, outside of the MR circle that tends to be comprised of more professional, Apple geek users, Haptic Touch is definitely more discoverable than 3D Touch was. The average user will figure out how to press and hold something much sooner than he would figure out to press firmly on something.

I think this is especially true with Force Touch on the Apple Watch. In many scenarios, several application functions were only available through Force Touch, meaning they weren't discoverable. You'd have to try Force Touching a screen to see if there were any actions available or not, as opposed to just glancing at all the options onscreen already.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
It was a great feature. I don’t miss it. Why? The replacement works just as well and I haven’t lost any functionality.

Rockoo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
I still manage to accidentally hit the flash light or camera button on the Lock Screen all the time since 3D Touch was removed. Phone even sometimes gets hot/wastes battery from the flash or camera being open for so long. Remember when the first iPhone was introduced and they specifically said slide to unlock was to avoid accidental pressing of buttons? Lock Screen buttons didnt have that issue with 3D Touch, but now with it gone it‘s introduced a problem that was never meant to be there. I loved 3D Touch so sad they took it away.

Last edited:

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Force touch was one of those features I was looking forward to when the released it, yet I never actually used it and I forgot it was a feature. I will always take better battery life over anything else

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
While I do miss Peek and Pop and I think the Lock Screen buttons were way better with 3D Touch, I will say that you do get used to Haptic Touch eventually. Just a few weeks ago I was using my buddy's iPhone X and though something was broken because the button wasn't working when I pressed and held!

Also, outside of the MR circle that tends to be comprised of more professional, Apple geek users, Haptic Touch is definitely more discoverable than 3D Touch was. The average user will figure out how to press and hold something much sooner than he would figure out to press firmly on something.

I think this is especially true with Force Touch on the Apple Watch. In many scenarios, several application functions were only available through Force Touch, meaning they weren't discoverable. You'd have to try Force Touching a screen to see if there were any actions available or not, as opposed to just glancing at all the options onscreen already.
I have to agree about it on the watch. Oddly, I don’t miss it at all there. In fact I used to get confused about which things were tap and hold and which were FT on my watch.

It’s interesting how a very similar device can be so different in terms of optimal interaction types.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

DaffiDuck

macrumors member

Sad face.

I still got the 8 Plus solid waiting on the 14... And imagine if they bring it back oopsey 😋 buy year that haptic rubbish is never superior to the Force 3D touch 😉 maybe if everyone complained about it instead of sheeping it would change

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
You have to apply the right amount of pressure. If you don’t, you end up tapping or long tapping. That is frustrating.
Ahh ok I see what you mean now. For example FT an app to get additional options as opposed to tap and hold to move the app icon around. Yes, I can definitely see how people would get frustrated at things like that.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.