Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philliez98

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
Hoping I could get some help or feedback on next steps. I traded in my iPad Pro 12.9 4th generation for a silver iPad Pro 12.9 5th generation at BestBuy earlier today. The plan was to price match from Amazon and save a little money. However, when I went to open the new iPad I noticed several marks on the bottom (right where the Smart Connector pins are located) and also noticed a few nicks on the sides. See image below.

Being that this is the silver color, I figured I would definitely notice any marks or nicks over time; however I didn’t expect to see these marks upon unboxing it. As An Apple product I also expect new products to be new. Am I being too particular? Did BestBuy inadvertently give me an open boxed iPad?

I wanted to turn it on and check out the new display and all, but I feel like once I do and the device is activated it could cause problems when returning it. Curious if anyone has thoughts or suggestions for next steps. Should I just return or exchange it? Should I risk starting up and using the iPad to at least see how the new display looks? Do I have to worry about BestBuy giving me a hard time for returning or complaining about this issue?

Thanks in advance for any tips, feedback or suggestions.

Attachments

• 02CA1455-43DB-4C68-B134-36C2A587F4A5.jpeg
    02CA1455-43DB-4C68-B134-36C2A587F4A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 607
  • Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You can turn it on, and even activate it. You just need to do a restore on it, and not turn it on after that. It would be interesting to see if it was used, but if the wrap was on, and the iPad itself was wrapped with Apple's cling protection, it seems odd to assume that it was boxed up with scratches on it. This goes back too many years, but I did have an Apple device that had scuffs on it. I took it back and it was exchanged. I did it the same day as I remember. Scratches likely happen but are caught before they leave the plant. Yeah, return it as soon as you can.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Did BestBuy inadvertently give me an open boxed iPad?
Well only you can answer that. Was the box opened? If it was new and sealed you would have to break that seal. I'm not sure if Apple has moved away from the plastic wrap on the iPad but on iPhones it has a paper tear seal.

Also you have to look at that wrap CAREFULLY... Stores have been known to re wrap things. It's very easy to do with a machine.

Either way return it for a different one.

philliez98

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
Well only you can answer that. Was the box opened? If it was new and sealed you would have to break that seal. I'm not sure if Apple has moved away from the plastic wrap on the iPad but on iPhones it has a paper tear seal.

Also you have to look at that wrap CAREFULLY... Stores have been known to re wrap things. It's very easy to do with a machine.

Either way return it for a different one.
Thanks for the advice! I did open it carefully and the wrapper looked legit with the proper seal. However, as you said, it could have easily been Re wrapped. It had a pull strip and plastic wrapping. Probably no way to ever know for sure. Just seems odd that Apple would allow an iPad to pass quality assurance with those very obvious marks and small nicks as shown in the picture.

Reactions: russell_314

philliez98

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
You can turn it on, and even activate it. You just need to do a restore on it, and not turn it on after that. It would be interesting to see if it was used, but if the wrap was on, and the iPad itself was wrapped with Apple's cling protection, it seems odd to assume that it was boxed up with scratches on it. This goes back too many years, but I did have an Apple device that had scuffs on it. I took it back and it was exchanged. I did it the same day as I remember. Scratches likely happen but are caught before they leave the plant. Yeah, return it as soon as you can.
I might do that in the morning before returning it. Thanks @PinkyMacGodess! I am debating on exchanging and keeping the 5th generation versus just getting the newly released 6th generation. This isn’t a huge update as everyone knows, although as an artist and an avid pencil user, the hover feature is enticing. Doesn’t hurt to have the latest and greatest. My wife had BestBuy gift cards she earned from her work, so the price difference isn’t a big hold up, but it’s always good to save money when possible.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I love when people say this, as if it's feasible to inspect every inch of millions of products. God forbid some have a slight aesthetic irregularity.

I agree with others on here. Just return it. No biggie. Best Buy's great, they'll just swap you out a new one.
Well if they have the capacity to make a million products and the people to do it then they can certainly inspect a million units. If that got through Apple Quality Control then something is definitely wrong.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I might do that in the morning before returning it. Thanks @PinkyMacGodess! I am debating on exchanging and keeping the 5th generation versus just getting the newly released 6th generation. This isn’t a huge update as everyone knows, although as an artist and an avid pencil user, the hover feature is enticing. Doesn’t hurt to have the latest and greatest. My wife had BestBuy gift cards she earned from her work, so the price difference isn’t a big hold up, but it’s always good to save money when possible.
Go big or go home lol. If you got the gift cards to soften the blow on the price, might as well get the latest and greatest

Reactions: philliez98

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Apple doesn’t have an employee that inspects each and every device that gets made. They partner with a manufacturer that makes the devices to their design and specs. As humans are fallible, these things can happen. I haven’t had many issues with the Apple products I’ve purchased over the years. I did have a mark on an iPad Air 2 back in 2014, which ironically was the last time I ever purchased any Apple product from Best Buy.

Reactions: Tagbert

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Hoping I could get some help or feedback on next steps. I traded in my iPad Pro 12.9 4th generation for a silver iPad Pro 12.9 5th generation at BestBuy earlier today. The plan was to price match from Amazon and save a little money. However, when I went to open the new iPad I noticed several marks on the bottom (right where the Smart Connector pins are located) and also noticed a few nicks on the sides. See image below.

Being that this is the silver color, I figured I would definitely notice any marks or nicks over time; however I didn’t expect to see these marks upon unboxing it. As An Apple product I also expect new products to be new. Am I being too particular? Did BestBuy inadvertently give me an open boxed iPad?

I wanted to turn it on and check out the new display and all, but I feel like once I do and the device is activated it could cause problems when returning it. Curious if anyone has thoughts or suggestions for next steps. Should I just return or exchange it? Should I risk starting up and using the iPad to at least see how the new display looks? Do I have to worry about BestBuy giving me a hard time for returning or complaining about this issue?

Thanks in advance for any tips, feedback or suggestions.
Simple. Get an exchange for a new one.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Paying msrp isn’t saving money. Apple loves ya tho.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice! I did open it carefully and the wrapper looked legit with the proper seal. However, as you said, it could have easily been Re wrapped. It had a pull strip and plastic wrapping. Probably no way to ever know for sure. Just seems odd that Apple would allow an iPad to pass quality assurance with those very obvious marks and small nicks as shown in the picture.

Nobody is going to rewrap that. Keep in mind the serial number would be activated already if opened. You can do a warranty check on the Apple Support site to see if it’s been activated.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
Well if they have the capacity to make a million products and the people to do it then they can certainly inspect a million units. If that got through Apple Quality Control then something is definitely wrong.
well then Apple wouldnt have an return policy
But i agree, if its on Apple QC this one )since its so visible) then its something wrong...but if its on besbuy (open box that wasnt inspected when it was returned by the first owner) then its besbuy

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I love when people say this, as if it's feasible to inspect every inch of millions of products. God forbid some have a slight aesthetic irregularity.

I agree with others on here. Just return it. No biggie. Best Buy's great, they'll just swap you out a new one.
I understand the comment, and agree to a point with regards to the tiny imperfections people are often posting about.

But that iPad from the photos. If that is a new device, there’s no excuse for that getting through quality inspections.

Reactions: Flash1420

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If it was just the mark on the smart connector and it would rub off I would be fine with it, but those other nicks aren’t going to. Return it, I wouldn’t turn it on.

Looking at some of the iPad 10 unboxings from people who look like they have bought it retail, they have the iPhone pull tabs. So it looks as though Apple are transitioning to these, but I would be suspicious of them on a Pro at a third party seller at this point.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
When I worked at a Circuit City they used to rewrap returns and sell it as new instead of open box. To be fair, that wasn't some kind of official policy (to my knowledge) but our management did it. I would turn the boxes backwards in the cages so I knew which ones were opened already and gave customers the other ones.

Reactions: stinkhorn9

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Don't turn it on and just return it right away. That way they can't say you used and abused it. Surprised that passed QC so possibly a refurb being passed off as new.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Apple doesn’t have an employee that inspects each and every device that gets made. They partner with a manufacturer that makes the devices to their design and specs. As humans are fallible, these things can happen. I haven’t had many issues with the Apple products I’ve purchased over the years. I did have a mark on an iPad Air 2 back in 2014, which ironically was the last time I ever purchased any Apple product from Best Buy.
Unfortunately, it seems that Apple is re-wrapping their returned products at the main return centers in the US (Carlisle, PA, and a second one in CA). I have received an iPad that had dents on the back and some dirt. I got all the way to a senior supervisor who said that they were testing their products before sending them to clients so I asked him whether that included hitting the iPad against the work desk because I could see no other explanation for what my "new" iPad looked like. Finally they sent me a new one straight from China. Ever since, I don't trust a product sent from the two centers.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Unfortunately, it seems that Apple is re-wrapping their returned products at the main return centers in the US (Carlisle, PA, and a second one in CA). I have received an iPad that had dents on the back and some dirt. I got all the way to a senior supervisor who said that they were testing their products before sending them to clients so I asked him whether that included hitting the iPad against the work desk because I could see no other explanation for what my "new" iPad looked like. Finally they sent me a new one straight from China. Ever since, I don't trust a product sent from the two centers.
Do you have any evidence of this? When did you make this purchase? Was it actually new or refurbished? Did it come wrapped in the original retail box? Your story doesn’t make sense.

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021

Yep - it’s just not cost feasible. Generally it’s not too big of an issue - the iPhone 5 notably had like an 11% defect rate early on, which incurred penalties for Foxconn as that far exceeded the allowable rate under contract.

This is sometimes why people will say refurbs are “better”, because they usually *are* inspected by a person.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Yep - it’s just not cost feasible. Generally it’s not too big of an issue - the iPhone 5 notably had like an 11% defect rate early on, which incurred penalties for Foxconn as that far exceeded the allowable rate under contract.

This is sometimes why people will say refurbs are “better”, because they usually *are* inspected by a person.
I remember having to return two iPhone 5’s before I got one without obvious dead pixels in the screen - thought that was pretty off at the time.

My user name here stems from the fact that my 2009 MacBook Pro came straight from the factory with a dent in the case.

I actually think Apple’s QC has improved quite a bit in recent years.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Apple doesn’t have an employee that inspects each and every device that gets made. They partner with a manufacturer that makes the devices to their design and specs. [...]
...and that manufacturer's employees inspect each and every device. They don't just assemble these things and then throw them in the packaging without checking if they even turn on. That's also why there's always people asking why their brand new Apple product already has a battery charge cycle showing, or two, questioning whether it's even new - at least on the Macs where you can easily see the amount of cycles.

Not catching visible scratches like we see in this thread, or even dents, is simply a QC issue.

If this was the old base iPad on a special sale I might accept it, but on a flagship device for 1k and more I really don't think so. Buying Apple refurbished doesn't resolve the issue since the prices in the Apple refurb store are usually on par with what the same device costs brand-new via some retailers. At least for some devices and configurations that's the case. Apple refurbished devices have to be at least somewhat cheaper in order for me to consider them at all.

For example the 14" MBP base model was available for 1599 before tax from a few places all throughout September. Apple sells that same model -refurbished- for 1709 before tax. Buying refurb rarely makes sense, except for the most expensive configurations that many retailers don't have in the first place. For the iPad Pro that is not relevant since all configurations are offered by many retailers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.