Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I used a baby nasal clearing blower thingy (new of course) also worked.

Now having thought about saying it was a "new" one I have visions of my sensor if I'd accidently had a good cleaning session with a used one :(

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Pro-tip: If you are cleaning the sensor with canned air or turkey baster or otherwise, you should hold the camera with the sensor on a down angle. Otherwise the dust you've blown out just tends to fall back into the camera

gamera~

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Boston MA
Hmm. How often did you baste while roasting?

I use a giotto like Cliff3, and cleaned out my K100D for the first time two days ago. What I really needed was a loupe to see the dust more clearly, but under strong light I could just make out the dust particles, and then it was pretty easy to get them.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
I also use the giottos rocket-air, and it works great on my camera, but also at getting the dust out of my macbook's keyboard. Really useful and safer than canned air. (cheaper in the long-run too!)

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Hmm... my 50D sensor cleans itself... ;)

yeaaahhhh... we're going to need you to come in on Saaaaturday....

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Sensor swabs generally work better then air blowers, due to the fact air blowers can blow dust into impossible to reach places like the inside of the viewfinder then you have to send your 5D to canon to get cleaned and pay $240....

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Pro-tip: If you are cleaning the sensor with canned air or turkey baster or otherwise, you should hold the camera with the sensor on a down angle. Otherwise the dust you've blown out just tends to fall back into the camera

Pro tip: u should NEVER use canned air to clean a sensor. They often have various oils or chems ( very small amounts) which will attract more junk to the sensor or mirror.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Great, now I have last year's turkey fat all over the D40. How the hell do I get that out? Even spraying it with Oven Off just replaced one problem with another.

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
The baster method will also provide a lovely golden brown crispy hue to your photographs, similar to that provided by a 54a warming turkey filter.

I found the giottos rocket blower cheap enough and more powerful, but as with any cleaning of sensors or lenses, keep it to a minimum. More blowing means more dust reaching further into the camera, more swabbing means more chances of scratches, more lens cleaning means more wear on the coatings, etc etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.