Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
A month back I open iPhoto and a pop-up update tells me I need to update my thumbnails so I clicked ok and iPhoto opens with no photos?!
After losing all my edits getting some organiation back I've just been using finder and Gimp for everything

I'm considering using the new Picasa for Mac though I would like to go back to iPhoto but first:

1) I want use my own folder system so if iPhoto wants to wipe my library again I don't have to start over

2) when I delete photos in iPhoto I want them off my hard drive (I am a big boy and I can make those decisions :) )

3) when I edit a photo I dont want a duplicate

Can you guys please help me with this?

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
A month back I open iPhoto and a pop-up update tells me i need to update my thumbnails so I clicked ok and iPhoto opens with no photos?!
After losing all my edits getting some organiation back I've just been using finder and Gimp for everything

I'm considering using the new Picasa for Mac but I would like to go back to iPhoto but first:

1) I want use my own folder system so if iPhoto wants to wipe my library again I don't have to start over

2) when I delete photos in iPhoto i want them off my hard drive (i am a big boy and I can make those decisions :) )

3) when I edit a photo i dont want a duplicate

For #2, just go to "Trash" in iPhoto's sidebar and empty it.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
A month back I open iPhoto and a pop-up update tells me I need to update my thumbnails so I clicked ok and iPhoto opens with no photos?!

I'm considering using the new Picasa for Mac though I would like to go back to iPhoto but first:

2) when I delete photos in iPhoto I want them off my hard drive (I am a big boy and I can make those decisions :) )

3) when I edit a photo I dont want a duplicate

1) The iPhoto single package system is actually probably a lot better to deal with than a user managed photo system. You can back up al your photos in one pass without accidentally missing anything.

2) As mentioned, you can do this with iPhoto by emptying the trash in iPhoto. Even Big Boys make mistakes and need an undo option.

3) You should.

Seriously, your iPhoto complaints sound like you aren't willing to learn about better ways to do things. iPhoto isn't perfect but it is by far the best photo management application I've ever seen.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Number 3 worries me, to what extend do you edit your photos? Im guessing since you will do this from a photo management software, it means adjusting the exposure and such things?

Well then if you only do basic/common post processing, then I'm with mrgreen. The reason why iPhoto duplicates your edited images so what ever you do, it will not damage your original image. Its pretty hard to work things around iPhoto about these kind of stuffs (especially if you want to revert back to the original copy, you need to go to a few places unlike Aperture which just right click and new from master), but it is learnable.

And yeah, I dont see why it so hard to just click the trash button and empty it, could be useful if you accidently deleted a photo which you think you might not need but somehow one of the days you will be like "ah, I can try something with that photo I deleted", so since the photos is just located in the trash you can recover it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
1) The iPhoto single package system is actually probably a lot better to deal with than a user managed photo system. You can back up al your photos in one pass without accidentally missing anything.

2) As mentioned, you can do this with iPhoto by emptying the trash in iPhoto. Even Big Boys make mistakes and need an undo option.

3) You should.

Seriously, your iPhoto complaints sound like you aren't willing to learn about better ways to do things. iPhoto isn't perfect but it is by far the best photo management application I've ever seen.

please, i have the same complaints
better way to do things? lol

i dont want iphoto to manage my photos...i can do it

thankk god picassa came out for osx

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I really dont understand #2, surely having a safety bin is a good thing in case anyone messes with your stuff?

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
please, i have the same complaints
better way to do things? lol

i dont want iphoto to manage my photos...i can do it

thankk god picassa came out for osx

I just downloaded Picasa and i like it a lot, faster than iPhoto too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.