Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
So I've got my eye on Canon's G10 but it's a bit thick. but I would like to be able to put it in my pocket without having a abnormally large bulge.

are there any thinner models / brands that offer a point and shoot able to shoot in RAW that i should consider?

I'm pretty sure I'm just asking for too much though.

Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
are there any thinner models / brands that offer a point and shoot able to shoot in RAW that i should consider?

There are many models of Canon P&S that can be "hacked" to shoot RAW. Not much of a hack really you simply add some extra firmware to the SD memory card. More here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Then there is the Leica D-Lux 3 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2.

asdflkijd

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
The Leica D Lux 3, you can get a used one for about 500, or if you have the money you can wait and get the newer model, the Leica D Lux 4, which should be around the 700-800 mark... I heard the lens on these little cameras are fantastic! The thing I love the most about the D lux 3 is the 28mm wide angle lens!! 16:9 ratio is not bad at all :)

You should also look into the Panasonic DMC-LX2, its relatively smaller than the Leica because the lens actually retracts all the way and its a hell of a lot cheaper too! The lens is almost the same as the Leica (its made by Leica) but the glass on the Leica is better (or so they say!)..

There are also other options, instead of the G10, you can just get a used G9 and save the extra cash for some accessories for the P&S like external flash, lens adapter, grip etc etc..

Another good P&S + Raw is the Sigma DP1.. Its a bit on the expensive side (less than the Leica, but still around the 600 range..), but it has a really nice sensor (same size as entry level dslr's)

I was in the market for one of these also so I did a lot of researching, but in the end, I just decided to get another dslr instead, the Xsi to be exact because I got a really good deal on a new one for 550 :D

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I've got a Panasonic DMC-LX1, shoots RAW, a couple of years old. Try the latest version (LX3?). Mine is pocket sized for larger pockets... There will be a Leica and a Panasonic version, the only real difference is the JPEG software, and if you are grabbing RAW then that is not really important (oh, software, and a couple hundred £'s).

The DP1 sounds great, but apparently takes an age between photo's. Probably great for landscapes, or something, but a pretty major flaw as an everyday P&S. There are lots of reviews around, take a look. If there is ever a DP2 and if it fixes this issue I could easily imagine it being the best selling P&S of all time.

The Canon replacement firmware thing sounds pretty cool, if I were in the market I would probably look into this as a first option. A lovely Ixus with RAW - yum. You'll need to check that the particular camera is viable with replacement firmware though, sorry don't remember the name of the project, but if you ask here I'm sure someone will chip in.

The last point, some P&S's are starting to come out with more sane MP, rather than pushing the count up constantly, keep an eye out for these. I think Panasonic are doing this.

Sorry, not much real help, just opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.