Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakaniKai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Wishing I could get an iPhone 15/16 Pro but with the blue aluminum & back glass from the 15 instead of the titanium on the 15 Pro. I really don't like the titanium look at all. I love the way aluminum looks.

61NBF0uWXRL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Apple-iPhone-15-lineup-design-230912_big.jpg.large.jpg

Do you think Apple would ever go back to aluminum stainless steel on Pro? Whoops they used stainless steel before, not aluminum

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Since introduction of the Pro naming scheme [on iPhones], Apple has always used Stainless Steel [except since iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max which uses Titanium] and never Aluminum/Aluminium...

Even iPhone X and XS/XS Max use Stainless Steel...

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I don't think it's the titanium you don't like, it's the brushed finish you don't like. You can beadblast titanium to give it the same visual texture as the aluminum phones - Apple Watch Ultra has this finish.

I personally don't mind it as long as we don't go back to polished sides. I always thought the polished metal looked so tacky.

MakaniKai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Since introduction of the Pro naming scheme [on iPhones], Apple has always used Stainless Steel [except since iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max which uses Titanium] and never Aluminum/Aluminium...

oh my bad!

I don't think it's the titanium you don't like, it's the brushed finish you don't like. You can beadblast titanium to give it the same visual texture as the aluminum phones - Apple Watch Ultra has this finish.

I personally don't mind it as long as we don't go back to polished sides. I always thought the polished metal looked so tacky.
I didn’t think of it that way but I believe you’re right. I love that beadblasted texture.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022

I really do miss the hardware of my XS Max. The shiny steel, glossy back etc, curved edges. Gotta hand it to Apple for hardware design. They pull some great moves

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Current rumors suggest iPhone 17 Pro will go back to aluminum. Out of the four devices only Pro Max will be Ti.

Then if current rumors are correct, when I finally upgrade my 11 Pro Max I will have Titanium. 'cause, Pro Max to Pro Max. Considering I skipped the 12, 13, 14, 15 and probably the 16 Pro Max as well I'm good with that. The last Titanium Apple product I owned was my Titanium PowerBook G4/400.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
I really do miss the hardware of my XS Max. The shiny steel, glossy back etc, curved edges. Gotta hand it to Apple for hardware design. They pull some great moves
Don’t forget the smaller camera bump! I went from 6S+ to X, really admired that design.

Reactions: LionTeeth

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I think a lot of us want Pro models that weigh about the same as the non Pro phones.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Don’t forget the smaller camera bump! I went from 6S+ to X, really admired that design.

For a long time I thought that Apple would never make a phone that would overtake the white 4S as my all time favourite phone design. And then they made the original X.

That soap bar in white stole my heart and to this day is my all time favourite iPhone. I wish they’d bring back that X footprint and style. It was gorgeous.

Reactions: mansplains

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I think a lot of us want Pro models that weigh about the same as the non Pro phones.
Or even less. Ti isn't the only way to get there - it just happens to be the cheapest marketing-driven way for Apple to do at scale right now to make a clear demarcation for the high end, with the " " cachet " " of titanium (the mass market not having realised how common it's gotten).

I'd definitely like to see other avenues taken - especially for advanced engineering plastics which are cheap at scale and a better bet than ti in many situations, but marketing to your average idiot will dictate that you can't have an aluminium low end and a plastic high end (that feels like plastic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.