Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Hello, I would like to get my husband's photos from his iCloud collection onto my Mac in a Photos library that is separate from mine. So far, I think this is what I do:

1. Create a new Photos Library on my Mac (or do I first download his photos and have that create the library?), calling it something like Husband's Photos Library. Make this new library the System Photo Library TEMPORARILY.

2. Get into his iCloud Photos Library using his Apple ID on iCloud.com.

3. Download all his photos into the temporary System Photo Library (called Husband's Photos Library). I'm really not sure how to do this.

My goal is to have all his photos on my Mac, but in a separate Photos Library. Most of the time I will work with my Photos Library as the System Photo Library, but when I want to see his photos, I will temporary make Husband's Photos Library the System Photo Library. I'm assuming they can be opened by my Photos app, and I can work with them then?

Please give me some guidance! I'm sure I have some things wrong, and I'm sure there are things I should "remember" to do that I don't know yet. Thank you for any help!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Create a separate user account for him on your computer. Then sign his user account into his iCloud account. That way your iCloud stuff syncs with your user and his iCloud stuff syncs with his user. Which is much easier than trying to juggle multiple iCloud accounts in one user's account.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/m...ge-user-accounts-with-mac-os-x-macos-3637271/

He'll also have his own user files and you can keep his e-mail separate. If there is something you want to share. Put it in the public folder. Such as your music library.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Another option if he gives you access to his www.icloud.com account (ID and password) - you can have access to all the pictures on iCloud and download any needed photos on demand at any time.

Of course you would have access all the other info as well - emails and contacts etc.

Janja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Thank you both! I created a separate user account for him on my computer, activated iCloud, and let all his photos download into his new account. I need access to his photos both for painting references (I am a watercolor artist) and for slide shows (family entertainment). What I can do go to his account, select the photos I want, export them to his Dropbox folder, and get them from the Dropbox folder in my account. Does this sound reasonable?

I turned off any access to his emails, contacts, etc., because all I need is his photos--and telling him this was helpful when talking him into letting me set up "his" account that only I would use.

Thanks again!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Thank you both! I created a separate user account for him on my computer, activated iCloud, and let all his photos download into his new account. I need access to his photos both for painting references (I am a watercolor artist) and for slide shows (family entertainment). What I can do go to his account, select the photos I want, export them to his Dropbox folder, and get them from the Dropbox folder in my account. Does this sound reasonable?

I turned off any access to his emails, contacts, etc., because all I need is his photos--and telling him this was helpful when talking him into letting me set up "his" account that only I would use.

Thanks again!

creating the separate account for his apple ID was the key.
to be able to use / share photos from his Photo Library why dont you just create a Shared Album in his Photos library inviting you. this would give you his shared photos to use in whatever way you want to edit/change after you make a duplicate of them into yr Photos library.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
creating the separate account for his apple ID was the key.
to be able to use / share photos from his Photo Library why dont you just create a Shared Album in his Photos library inviting you. this would give you his shared photos to use in whatever way you want to edit/change after you make a duplicate of them into yr Photos library.
Doesn't photos in the Shared Album downgrade in terms of quality?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Doesn't photos in the Shared Album downgrade in terms of quality?

no. you set it to keep originals only.
on my iPhone and my MacBook Air i have full sized photos for my Photos library for shared photos from my wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.