Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
My original plan was to wait until 2023 before I upgrade from my early 2015 MBP 13 inch. The fact is, I just can't wait that long for the type of Mac I wanted. Is it is a need or want? More of a want, since the current Mac I have works just fine.

There is some excitement for this new generation of Macs and a little trepidation, too. My original plan was to purchase a M1 Mac Mini and accessorise it with everything else. But the cost just started ballooning, so I took that decision off the table. My other option was the current generation Intel iMac, which might actually still be in the game depending on my test run at the Apple store and YouTube reviews. Its just that, I am locking myself into an EOL platform even though Apple promises years of macOS updates.

Also, with M series iMacs more than likely arriving before summer '21, it probably would make sense to wait and see what those look like. Although, I am suspecting Apple is holding out the redesigns for a couple years after. The iMac was really what I wanted, which is why I was going for the desktop setup with the Mac Mini thinking I could budget it cheaper.

Ultimately, rethought my decision and decided that a laptop would be a better choice. I have been a bit torn between do I downgrade to a Air in this generation or go with the Pro. The Pro ultimately won because the relatively small price difference. Since I would be paying for it over 12 months using my Apple card, I thought, might as well go with the Pro. But an attractive aspect of the Air that keeps eating at me is the fanless design. That in itself really brings it inline with the rest of my iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone.

But the nicer display on the Pro, studio quality mics and speakers, touch bar (yes, its a selling point) in addition to touch ID kinda seals the deal. On top of the 20 hour web browsing on battery life really make it enticing. I'm going with 512 GBs this time too, out of the 256 GBs remaining on my 2015 MBP, there is only 19 GBs. Thats exactly the same amount I understand the Big Sur install uses for all its various system partitions.

Another part of my need to upgrade sooner than originally planned 2023 is that, I need a more modern Mac while I keep the 2015 MBP on Mojave for the rest of its life. The reason why I'm doing that, I am not forsaking my Adobe CS6, yes, its kinda ridiculous. But I refuse to buy a Adobe CC subscription based on my needs. Also, I have been holding back my Apple device upgrades so they work better with Apples other devices. So, iOS 14 integration that might require the latest release of macOS, I am not getting it at the moment because my current Mac is a couple versions behind.

I do have a few Office 365 subs I bought at the MS company store on the cheap while I was able to go on campus. So, those will last me a few years, although I do plan to transition to iWork based on how limited my Office usage has been over the past year. I also plan to purchase Affinity Photo as my replacement for the Photoshop on my M1 Mac.

Its a big purchase for me; I haven't splurged on tech since spring 2018 when I bought my iPhone X, iPad Pro and the 2017 MBP for my brother. With the world economy suffering right now, its probably not something I really need to have and I probably could put the 1,400 in my investments, but seriously, I can't just live to eat, sleep, work, read Macrumors, watch MKBHD and iJustine have all the fun. :)

2023 will be three years from now and I'm sure, Apple will have 16 inch MBPs and 32 inch iMacs on M4 and they will super fast. By then, I will have a little more disposable income (hopefully, nothing is promised these days) saved up and I can start replacing more again.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple or Washington State is not making this easy. Went to the store today then realised I needed to schedule an in store appointment in advance in order to shop at the store. I really want to test drive the MacBook Pro before I buy it, but the current pandemic restrictions is making that next to impossible. The closest Apple store that is walking distance is only doing in store pickup. Maybe this is a sign I should wait. If purchasing a laptop has become so convoluted, its probably the universe telling me to be happy with what you have.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Apple is offering an extended return policy window for the holidays. You can buy now and have until January 8th, 2021 to return your purchase no questions asked.

You can wait to purchase the M1 MBP until spring 2021 but most likely it would be subject to the standard 14-day return window.

Up to you to decide if the current extended return window is worth your time.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple is offering an extended return policy window for the holidays. You can buy now and have until January 8th, 2021 to return your purchase no questions asked.

You can wait to purchase the M1 MBP until spring 2021 but most likely it would be subject to the standard 14-day return window.

Up to you to decide if the current extended return window is worth your time.
I’ll likely order it Thursday then go pick up Friday.

digitalbreak

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
Apple or Washington State is not making this easy. Went to the store today then realised I needed to schedule an in store appointment in advance in order to shop at the store. I really want to test drive the MacBook Pro before I buy it, but the current pandemic restrictions is making that next to impossible. The closest Apple store that is walking distance is only doing in store pickup. Maybe this is a sign I should wait. If purchasing a laptop has become so convoluted, its probably the universe telling me to be happy with what you have.
I ordered MacBook Air 8GB/8-core GPU/512GB online and opted to pickup from the Bellevue store last week. It was super smooth. Once your order is ready to pickup you can go there and pick it up. Super easy!

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its finally here. The Apple store is just horrible experience both online and offline to purchase products. Jeff Bezos ended up saving the day. Its almost like Apple doesn’t want you buy their products. So, far, so good. There is nothing that stands out that makes this really amazing. Its really under hood with the battery life, nicer audio, but I’m not much of an audiophile. But its a nice Christmas gift to myself. The IRS has taken so much from this year, lol.

I’m glad I went with space gray, its such a wonderful contrast. Also, the keyboard is finally great. I remember when first tried the 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard in 2016 at the Apple store, I wondered what the heck I was typing on. With the controversy surrounding this one critical component of using a computer for for 5 years, I think it further reinforced by decision to not upgrade for a while. If the keyboard is why you haven’t purchased a new Mac, then you can put it aside.

There is lots more to say, but this is the end of my 2020. ?

91A31C7D-6489-48C9-8495-D68A3079E411.jpeg

iSavant

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2007
Colorado
Its finally here. The Apple store is just horrible experience both online and offline to purchase products. Jeff Bezos ended up saving the day. Its almost like Apple doesn’t want you buy their products. So, far, so good. There is nothing that stands out that makes this really amazing. Its really under hood with the battery life, nicer audio, but I’m not much of an audiophile. But its a nice Christmas gift to myself. The IRS has taken so much from this year, lol.

I’m glad I went with space gray, its such a wonderful contrast. Also, the keyboard is finally great. I remember when first tried the 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard in 2016 at the Apple store, I wondered what the heck I was typing on. With the controversy surrounding this one critical component of using a computer for for 5 years, I think it further reinforced by decision to not upgrade for a while. If the keyboard is why you haven’t purchased a new Mac, then you can put it aside.

View attachment 1690597
Enjoy!

I'm loving my M1 MBP 8/512 ... my 2012 MBP died this last summer and I'm glad I waited on the replacement.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

View attachment 1690597
Base model? Or upgrades?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
My original plan was to wait until 2023 before I upgrade from my early 2015 MBP 13 inch. The fact is, I just can't wait that long for the type of Mac I wanted. Is it is a need or want? More of a want, since the current Mac I have works just fine.

There is some excitement for this new generation of Macs and a little trepidation, too. My original plan was to purchase a M1 Mac Mini and accessorise it with everything else. But the cost just started ballooning, so I took that decision off the table. My other option was the current generation Intel iMac, which might actually still be in the game depending on my test run at the Apple store and YouTube reviews. Its just that, I am locking myself into an EOL platform even though Apple promises years of macOS updates.

Also, with M series iMacs more than likely arriving before summer '21, it probably would make sense to wait and see what those look like. Although, I am suspecting Apple is holding out the redesigns for a couple years after. The iMac was really what I wanted, which is why I was going for the desktop setup with the Mac Mini thinking I could budget it cheaper.

Ultimately, rethought my decision and decided that a laptop would be a better choice. I have been a bit torn between do I downgrade to a Air in this generation or go with the Pro. The Pro ultimately won because the relatively small price difference. Since I would be paying for it over 12 months using my Apple card, I thought, might as well go with the Pro. But an attractive aspect of the Air that keeps eating at me is the fanless design. That in itself really brings it inline with the rest of my iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone.

But the nicer display on the Pro, studio quality mics and speakers, touch bar (yes, its a selling point) in addition to touch ID kinda seals the deal. On top of the 20 hour web browsing on battery life really make it enticing. I'm going with 512 GBs this time too, out of the 256 GBs remaining on my 2015 MBP, there is only 19 GBs. Thats exactly the same amount I understand the Big Sur install uses for all its various system partitions.

Another part of my need to upgrade sooner than originally planned 2023 is that, I need a more modern Mac while I keep the 2015 MBP on Mojave for the rest of its life. The reason why I'm doing that, I am not forsaking my Adobe CS6, yes, its kinda ridiculous. But I refuse to buy a Adobe CC subscription based on my needs. Also, I have been holding back my Apple device upgrades so they work better with Apples other devices. So, iOS 14 integration that might require the latest release of macOS, I am not getting it at the moment because my current Mac is a couple versions behind.

I do have a few Office 365 subs I bought at the MS company store on the cheap while I was able to go on campus. So, those will last me a few years, although I do plan to transition to iWork based on how limited my Office usage has been over the past year. I also plan to purchase Affinity Photo as my replacement for the Photoshop on my M1 Mac.

Its a big purchase for me; I haven't splurged on tech since spring 2018 when I bought my iPhone X, iPad Pro and the 2017 MBP for my brother. With the world economy suffering right now, its probably not something I really need to have and I probably could put the 1,400 in my investments, but seriously, I can't just live to eat, sleep, work, read Macrumors, watch MKBHD and iJustine have all the fun. :)

2023 will be three years from now and I'm sure, Apple will have 16 inch MBPs and 32 inch iMacs on M4 and they will super fast. By then, I will have a little more disposable income (hopefully, nothing is promised these days) saved up and I can start replacing more again.

Would you not think this would go better under a Day One journal?

You should buy what you want and/ or need. You do not need to justify that to anyone but yourself, and no one else should be made a party to that validation.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
So, I think I'm ready to start migrating from my other Mac. Is it safe to attach the Time Machine backup (external drive) then use migration assistant to restore files? Also, can I share the same time Time Machine to backup my M1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.