Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm a 2 weeks MBP 16" 2019 user. :) English is not my native language, so don't fault me already.

I've never used a MacBook before. When I bought my first macbook 2 weeks ago, I took it out of the box to check it while I was still in the store. I checked the aluminium case, then opened the lid to look at the screen. Of course, as soon as I lift the lid, the setup screen came, I knew that feature but I'm not used to it, because conventional notebooks do not open by themselves when the lid is lifted. Anyway, what I am curious about is that when I opened the lid and the setup screen came, I wanted to turn the computer off and put it in the box and go home. However, I could not find some close, quit or turn off button on the setup screen. Pressing the Macbook's TouchID / power key once did not shut down MBP either. The only thing I know about Macbooks is that they go into sleep mode when the lid is closed, and they wake up when the lid is opened, so I closed the lid, and put it in the box and went to my home with bus and subway duo :D

I wonder if the device went into sleep mode when I closed the lid while on the beginning of the setup screen? After all, the settings of the operating system have not even been made yet, we are on the first setup screen. What if the setting to go to sleep after closing the lid has not been activated yet? The device was not turned on and running in that narrow box along the way, right? :( If it had remained open and running though, when I took it out of the box, the Macbook would most likely be on fire right? I guess I would feel it. Because this device that warms up quickly anyway. When I came home and opened the box, there was no sign of heat. The device was pretty cold.

I think I asked a very silly question, but the reason I asked this question; when I got home, as soon as I opened the lid, when the setup screen appeared in front of me within a quarter of a split-second, I wondered if the device was turned on and running all the way.

I mean exactly this part.

D79A26BD-0006-4F6B-B4AB-EC8CD5D3018F.png

Yes I know this device wakes up from sleep mode instantly when you open the lid, but as I said before, we were just on the first setup screen and what if the close lid and go sleep setting is not been activated yet? :( But there is no quit or turn off button at the first setup screen. Ahh I'm confused, obsessed and curious.

Yes I am aware that I am extremely obsessed, I wish I could avoid this but I can't :( But please don't lie to comfort me, say whatever is real :D

Thanks in advance to all who will answer.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Yes it will go to sleep if you close the lid during setup

Hell of a long post for a simple and pointless question

Reactions: NomadCRY

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Yes it will go to sleep if you close the lid during setup

Hell of a long post for a simple and pointless question
Thank you. I know it’s a silly question. Sorry about that but I’m an obssessed person. :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your new MacBook Pro turns on/wakes up when you open the lid.
When you close the lid, it goes to sleep.
Open the lid - wake up. Close the lid - sleep.
This is normal operation. It's not part of the system setup that you will enable (or disable)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Yes,, it goes to sleep when you close the lid. It wakes very quickly which is why you see the screen when you open it. I’m surprised that it was in sleep mode when you took it out of the box. If you need to force power off, press and hold the power button until it shuts off.

Your English is better than some native speakers.

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Your new MacBook Pro turns on/wakes up when you open the lid.
When you close the lid, it goes to sleep.
Open the lid - wake up. Close the lid - sleep.
This is normal operation. It's not part of the system setup that you will enable (or disable)
Thank you so much. It wakes up so fast make me think it was running all the way to home. Looks like there is nothing to be worry about. :)

NomadCRY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Yes,, it goes to sleep when you close the lid. It wakes very quickly which is why you see the screen when you open it. I’m surprised that it was in sleep mode when you took it out of the box. If you need to force power off, press and hold the power button until it shuts off.

Your English is better than some native speakers.
Thank you for your compliment. :p:)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm a 2 weeks MBP 16" 2019 user. :) English is not my native language, so don't fault me already.

I've never used a MacBook before. When I bought my first macbook 2 weeks ago, I took it out of the box to check it while I was still in the store. I checked the aluminium case, then opened the lid to look at the screen. Of course, as soon as I lift the lid, the setup screen came, I knew that feature but I'm not used to it, because conventional notebooks do not open by themselves when the lid is lifted. Anyway, what I am curious about is that when I opened the lid and the setup screen came, I wanted to turn the computer off and put it in the box and go home. However, I could not find some close, quit or turn off button on the setup screen. Pressing the Macbook's TouchID / power key once did not shut down MBP either. The only thing I know about Macbooks is that they go into sleep mode when the lid is closed, and they wake up when the lid is opened, so I closed the lid, and put it in the box and went to my home with bus and subway duo :D

I wonder if the device went into sleep mode when I closed the lid while on the beginning of the setup screen? After all, the settings of the operating system have not even been made yet, we are on the first setup screen. What if the setting to go to sleep after closing the lid has not been activated yet? The device was not turned on and running in that narrow box along the way, right? :( If it had remained open and running though, when I took it out of the box, the Macbook would most likely be on fire right? I guess I would feel it. Because this device that warms up quickly anyway. When I came home and opened the box, there was no sign of heat. The device was pretty cold.

I think I asked a very silly question, but the reason I asked this question; when I got home, as soon as I opened the lid, when the setup screen appeared in front of me within a quarter of a split-second, I wondered if the device was turned on and running all the way.

I mean exactly this part.

View attachment 956486

Yes I know this device wakes up from sleep mode instantly when you open the lid, but as I said before, we were just on the first setup screen and what if the close lid and go sleep setting is not been activated yet? :( But there is no quit or turn off button at the first setup screen. Ahh I'm confused, obsessed and curious.

Yes I am aware that I am extremely obsessed, I wish I could avoid this but I can't :( But please don't lie to comfort me, say whatever is real :D

Thanks in advance to all who will answer.
At the screen shown on your photo, you can hit Command Q and it will ask you if you want to shut it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.