Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Hey all,
I have seen quite a few of these threads lately, and while I have found that it's relatively easy to critique other's work it's more difficult to reflect on your own work. I have shared these with a number of my friends, and while they tell me that I have "the eye", I find it difficult to believe them- they are my friends (they are paid to kiss my butt) :p
Now, I'm by no means a pro photographer- I'm getting a PhD in physiology, and while it's true that I do image analysis at work, photography is a completely different beast. I've been doing this for about 12 years now, so I really wouldn't consider myself a newb to photography. Nonetheless, I've never really gotten any good criticism about the pictures I've taken- the kind that makes me cringe, and hurts like a kidney punch. So here- tell me about these. I'm only seeking to improve my picture taking process, or, perhaps, get some reassurance that I'm on the right track.
The site I have is something straight out of Aperture, so look at the pictures, not the site itself.
Please, shred these to your liking.

http://homepage.mac.com/peterbayguinov/New Album/index.html

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Hello

First off I like a good majority of them. Here's my first piece of advice. I've noticed that a lot of your photos have the subject, or what you want us to see, dead center in the middle of the frame. This is okay sometimes but it's a little dull in the long run.

Here's a link for what I'm talking about - rule of thirds - which is trying to place your subject somewhere else than in the middle of the frame.
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/

The cactus and the ancient doorway are my favorite. This is my own personal taste, but for the waterfalls, drag the shutter. Try an aperture of f22 or smaller (i.e. 32, etc. - don't remember digital f stops right off the top of my head). This will make the water seem smooth and in motion, not stopped at the moment the shutter fires. Here is an example of what I'm talking about http://www.thelensflare.com/gallery/p_waterfall_30058.php

Color is pretty good but a little off. Some of the colors are muddled - dull or around 18% gray - but this is okay! This is me trying to find something.

Overall, like I said, I like them a lot. I'm a big fan of "out west" photography and desert photography. Keep up the good work.

~Crawn

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sorry, no real constructive criticism or feedback from me... Just couldn't help but to say that I'm terribly drawn to Photo 11. Has a playful, whimsical feel to it. At least, for me. :eek: The fact that it looks like a painting is a plus for me, too. :p Do you by chance have a higher res version you wouldn't mind emailing me so that I could use it as a wallpaper for my MB?

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Thanks for your respose Crawn- I really appreciate it. Yes- the waterfall images could have used slower SS, but it's a little more difficult to pull off when you are hinking for 8 miles, and didn't want to bring a tripod :rolleyes:
I know the rule of thirds sideways and backwards, but sometimes I find it's more interesting of a composition to break it, through often my viewfinder just does it automatically- looking back at them, the tree in the desert, actually is a third in from the right, and in the middle third of the picture, while the lake is in the top third. Sad, I know... you're right about some of the other ones.
Thanks for your input.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sorry, no real constructive criticism or feedback from me... Just couldn't help but to say that I'm terribly drawn to Photo 11. Has a playful, whimsical feel to it. At least, for me. :eek: The fact that it looks like a painting is a plus for me, too. :p Do you by chance have a higher res version you wouldn't mind emailing me so that I could use it as a wallpaper for my MB?

Yeah- it's one of those things you see, you aim shoot, not thinking about it, and when you get home, you go- "wow, that wasn't that bad." No real talent there. Thanks.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
In my opinion, you don't even break the rule of thirds that often, and when you do, it's not a deal breaker. The rule isn't really a rule - it's just a guideline. Nice pics, keep it up :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I like those photos a lot! Didnt like the cactus though, too boring IMO. Seems like you have a nice cam & equipment :)

Nice idea for the pic #11, really like the #13 :cool: , #15 is also cool - seems like trees are a frame to the pic, also like 16 - very unusual, the 17 is great, the 18 looks huge! Makes you feel very small ;), 19 has its unique atmosphere, as does 20 - I like this one a lot, 20 and 21 somehow look creepy :), the 23 is cool, thanks to the color of lighting.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Thanks for your respose Crawn- I really appreciate it. Yes- the waterfall images could have used slower SS, but it's a little more difficult to pull off when you are hinking for 8 miles, and didn't want to bring a tripod :rolleyes:
I know the rule of thirds sideways and backwards, but sometimes I find it's more interesting of a composition to break it, through often my viewfinder just does it automatically- looking back at them, the tree in the desert, actually is a third in from the right, and in the middle third of the picture, while the lake is in the top third. Sad, I know... you're right about some of the other ones.
Thanks for your input.

Glad you liked the response. I know what you mean by the hiking part. I was on vacation out in California about a 9 months ago and we went to Yosemite National Park. Well being an Ansel Adams fan I took along my 4x5, polaroid back, film holders, meters, film and polaroids, AND the 25 lbs tripod. Talk about a hike. Got some really cool photos but man, was my legs hurting afterwards.

I'm glad you know the rule of thirds. I wasn't trying to make you sound like a complete noob. Sorry if I did. A lot of people put their subject directly in the middle so I thought I would point it out. I just remember back to all of my film classes and people constantly being told by the instructors "Do not put the subject in the center of the frame unless you absolutely mean for it to be that way."

Once again, good photos. Keep 'em coming.

~Crawn

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Nice photos. I really like 11. It has a nice color quality to it. 16 and 17 are very nice also. Now some helpful hints.

1. Slower shutter speed on waterfalls and moving water.
2. Watch your highlights. Some seem overexposed. 3-8-10-12 are the photos I mean. Not too bad but might be a little better. 11 is a nice example of highlights not being blown out. 21 and 22 are more examples of what I am talking about. Fill flash on 22 would have helped to keep the sky in check. This photo as a b/w might have helped you there.

These are just suggestions. Keep shooting. Very nice work overall.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Nice photos. I really like 11. It has a nice color quality to it. 16 and 17 are very nice also. Now some helpful hints.

1. Slower shutter speed on waterfalls and moving water.
2. Watch your highlights. Some seem overexposed. 3-8-10-12 are the photos I mean. Not too bad but might be a little better. 11 is a nice example of highlights not being blown out. 21 and 22 are more examples of what I am talking about. Fill flash on 22 would have helped to keep the sky in check. This photo as a b/w might have helped you there.

These are just suggestions. Keep shooting. Very nice work overall.

Agreed, I like the tractor, but the wheel is very dark and the sky is blown out.

I love the log on the beach, but again, the clouds do not have any defintion. It might be that you needed a tripod in this one.

Its a great shot, just looks a little soft in the details.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Its a great shot, just looks a little soft in the details.

Thanks. A large part of the softness is probably due to the fact that it was taken with a 2MP p&s. I just like the composition.
When I exported the site out of Aperture, for some reason the tractor was sent as the original, rather than the one I had edited. Here was general idea I was going for:

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.