Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenniiZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
Belgium
Hello everyone, it's my first post, after searching and didn't coming up with something, I decided to make my own thread. My problem seems very simpel, because I know it's possible, and I don't want to spend money on an app with way to much specs that I don't need. So here is the issue.

I have an iMac 27" with 1TB FD. This is daily backed up to a WD Network drive with TimeMachine.
I also have another external HD but connected with USB to my iMac, with a couple of folders (5) were I work in daily.
Now, on the network drive (it's 3TB) I made a folder where I copy everything EXACTLY as I do it in the (5) folders on that USB harddisk. THIS I would like to automate. It's 1 way, I will never work on a folder that's on the usb drive, it's pure backup. It's I think what they call an Incremental backup, it only copy's what new or changed.

Now i've spend hours on google and forums, and trying "free" programs that are not so "free" anymore after a month.. Maybe this is possible with Automator, but I am so afraid it goes wrong.. It's a 1-way back up, but the way I'm doing it now (purely manually copying) is so time-consuming, and leave's place for mistakes.

Is there anyone who can help me? It would be very much appreciated!! :)

with kind regards, Dennis from Belgium!!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I use SyncFolders Pro app, yes it's paid, but it's a one time purchase.

I use it to backup multiple folders on my desktop to my media hard drive connected via USB. It does exactly what I think you're looking for.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
You can do what you need using rsync and crontab (both part of the Mac operating system). It just takes a small amount of time to setup and it is not difficult.

Please see a previous post of mine discussing this subject, here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/keeping-2-external-hard-drives-in-sync.1904238/#post-21653281

The video in the post is very helpful and the person explains the process very well. You can stop the video and write your own script while you are watching to make sure you get the syntax correct. He steps you through writing the script and then tells you how to automate it.

I would suggest that you setup a test directory to try the script first before you use it on “live” data.

If you are not happy using the terminal then I would recommend that you go with the option as suggested by dictoresno.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.