Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

withfilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
PDX
Hi everyone,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 5Dmkii soon! Does anyone think that the i7 will be worth upgrading to? I'll mostly shoot stills. But I'm sure that I will want to get into shooting video I'm just not sure how much at this point.

Any thoughts?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hi everyone,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 5Dmkii soon! Does anyone think that the i7 will be worth upgrading to? I'll mostly shoot stills. But I'm sure that I will want to get into shooting video I'm just not sure how much at this point.

Any thoughts?

Umm...they are largely unrelated. The bottleneck for processing photos is currently the software. You wouldn't see much of any difference with the i7. The more RAM the better, and a fast hard drive are key factors. For video, you might get a bit faster for rendering time, but weren't not talking hours.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If i7 was off-the-shelf standard configuration, I would plunked down $200 for i7, which offers 8 virtual cores (4 physical plus 4 hyperthread cores) and faster clock speed. Many online stores offer attractive discount on iMac but they do not offer build-to-order configuration which i7 is.

When and if Aperture (or your favorite RAW processor) gets updated to take advantage of Grand Central, you may leap benefits from having i7. Otherwise, the benefit over i5 won't be dramatic.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Don't underestimate the importance of HDD speed. Its impossible to say if its more important than CPU, as this depends on your workflow.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
If i7 was off-the-shelf standard configuration, I would plunked down $200 for i7, which offers 8 virtual cores (4 physical plus 4 hyperthread cores) and faster clock speed. Many online stores offer attractive discount on iMac but they do not offer build-to-order configuration which i7 is.

When and if Aperture (or your favorite RAW processor) gets updated to take advantage of Grand Central, you may leap benefits from having i7. Otherwise, the benefit over i5 won't be dramatic.

Is Apple still producing that sort of configuration (17" iMac with 8 cores)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.