Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozanuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys, a lifetime windows user here who wants to switch. Honestly I don't want to spend any more money than I have to. So my question is regarding to the hyperthreading that is only available on the i7... do I get any performance boost with hyperthreading on my softwarea i listed down below or is the i5 enough for things I want to do? Here in Germany it's more expensive than

- photoshop image manipulation
- illustrator drawing some 2d mockups / logos / interfaces.. not really whole artworks..
- video editing with final cut or premiere. Including presets to be honest
- maybe some after effects ( that could be the hardest)

I just don't know how that everything will work on macOS because I never used it. I just know that they don't need so much specs like on windows but perform better at the sams time. Some help would be good boys :)

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Hyper threading will effectively give you 12 cores instead of 6. After effects will benefit from this, although only up to 10 cores. The i7 will be around 33% more efficient for AE, and also for general video work.

For PS and AI, there will be no difference.

Hey guys, a lifetime windows user here who wants to switch. Honestly I don't want to spend any more money than I have to. So my question is regarding to the hyperthreading that is only available on the i7... do I get any performance boost with hyperthreading on my softwarea i listed down below or is the i5 enough for things I want to do? Here in Germany it's more expensive than

- photoshop image manipulation
- illustrator drawing some 2d mockups / logos / interfaces.. not really whole artworks..
- maybe some after effects ( that could be the hardest)

I just don't know how that everything will work on macOS because I never used it. I just know that they don't need so much specs like on windows but perform better at the sams time. Some help would be good boys :)

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland

There is a view that Final Cut is much better optimised than Premier for Mac OS. I haven't tested this myself, and Adobe is said to have made improvements to the performance of Premier on Mac OS. However, you might find it helpful to look into this.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I suspect all of the apps you cite would probably benefit from the i7. If you use them seriously and budget is not a concern, I would probably go with the i7. Having said that, I am sure the i5 would be more than sufficient. It is a matter of how much you use these things and how much the saved time is worth to you.

open0

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Mac Mini 2018 Core i5 + eGPU is suitable for your purpose.
Core i7 may have bad thermal throtling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.