Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtaruBarreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Hi! During the pandemic, as I had left far away my PowerBook G4 12', I ended up using my iBook G3 (Dual USB, 500Mhz, 640Mb RAM) quite a lot under OS 9 for work, light internet, emails, and music stuff. I really marveled at what I could do with this underpowered computer. But now that I've been using it for the past months, I feel like upgrading. Mainly because the OG hard-drive is slow. I know the HD bus in this iBook release is only 66Mhz but still it's quite slow (my B&W feels a tad snappier with its modern IDE hard-drive for example). Plus 15Gig is good enough for having just one OS, and I'd like to have Jaguar or Panther as an other OS.

I'd like to upgrade with a either 128 or 64Gig SSD, but I've read that OS 9 is kinda picky; what should I be aware of before buying stuff for the iBook?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'd go for a modern mSATA or m.2 SSD in an IDE adapter combo. Avoid native IDE SSDs, they are old cr@p. I don't know if this iBook supports drives larger than 128 GB (48-bit LBA), so I'd probably stick to a 120GB SSD to be safe.

AtaruBarreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
I'd go for a modern mSATA or m.2 SSD in an IDE adapter combo. Avoid native IDE SSDs, they are old cr@p. I don't know if this iBook supports drives larger than 128 GB (48-bit LBA), so I'd probably stick to a 120GB SSD to be safe.

Ok that's exactly what I did for my PB G4 12' haha

AtaruBarreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Well then :) Another thing is 0v3rcl0ck1ng - my 500MHz dual USB ran fine at 600MHz.

Ok! I think I'll pass, not because it's too advanced but because my soldering iron is garbage and unlike my iBook G4 this one works perfectly so I don't want to mess up its PCB with poor soldering iron and medicore skills haha. But maybe one day!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Ok! I think I'll pass, not because it's too advanced but because my soldering iron is garbage and unlike my iBook G4 this one works perfectly so I don't want to mess up its PCB with poor soldering iron and medicore skills haha. But maybe one day!

I can relate - mine was already OC'd when I received it; I wouldn't even have thought of attempting this myself.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Hi! During the pandemic, as I had left far away my PowerBook G4 12', I ended up using my iBook G3 (Dual USB, 500Mhz, 640Mb RAM) quite a lot under OS 9 for work, light internet, emails, and music stuff. I really marveled at what I could do with this underpowered computer. But now that I've been using it for the past months, I feel like upgrading. Mainly because the OG hard-drive is slow. I know the HD bus in this iBook release is only 66Mhz but still it's quite slow (my B&W feels a tad snappier with its modern IDE hard-drive for example). Plus 15Gig is good enough for having just one OS, and I'd like to have Jaguar or Panther as an other OS.

I'd like to upgrade with a either 128 or 64Gig SSD, but I've read that OS 9 is kinda picky; what should I be aware of before buying stuff for the iBook?

I’m right there with you. I’m doing a full upgrade. Here’s the link that shows everything i’m working on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.