Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
As my iBook has a problem with the DVD drive I thought I finally open it up and look what the problem is. The drive is recognized by OS X but when I try inserting a disc nothing happens. Really nothing, not even a noise.

Because everybody is complaining about opening an iBook I tried to aviod that as long as I could. Today now I gave it a try and voila - a problem arises.
One of the rear screws probably damaged its thread/bearing (dunno what the right word for that is, I even don't know it in german :D the thing where the screw is to be turned in).
So I can turn the screw as often as I like but it won't come out of the iBook.

Any advise what I should and should not do now?

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
"My screwhead is not stripped, the Screw just spins. What do I do to get it out, can't grab head either"

"See if you can slide a thin knife blade under the screw head and then carefully try to unscrew the screw (don't apply do much downward pressure here), as you turn the screw lift the knife edge easing out the screw until you can grab it."

The simple solution above was amongst the other ingenious suggestions from (lots to scroll through):
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Remove+a+Stripped+Screw/13213

The iFixIt website is like both a great tool store & a DIY repair wiki of offered advice with varying reply/comments to wade through.

Google also had this iFixIt hit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...ks+for+removing+or+extracting+stripped+screws

I'll be bookmarking this general page since I do have a 12" iBook G4 1 GHz:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4

EDIT: Deleted repeated link

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
What the user just above said would be my suggestion as well. Gently "pry" up the screw head with the flat of a blade while slowly, with almost no downward force, turning your screw driver. Works well for most situations like this. be patient.

Reactions: amagichnich

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
As my iBook has a problem with the DVD drive I thought I finally open it up and look what the problem is. The drive is recognized by OS X but when I try inserting a disc nothing happens. Really nothing, not even a noise.

Because everybody is complaining about opening an iBook I tried to aviod that as long as I could. Today now I gave it a try and voila - a problem arises.
One of the rear screws probably damaged its thread/bearing (dunno what the right word for that is, I even don't know it in german :D the thing where the screw is to be turned in).
So I can turn the screw as often as I like but it won't come out of the iBook.

Any advise what I should and should not do now?

Could you send a picture of the iBooks bottom and mark the screw, which is causing the problem?
I've opened several iBooks yet but didn't encounter such a problem. But you are right, it's a hassle to open them ...

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Can you get an external DVD drive thats compatible with PowerPC Macs? That could be a good workaround while you sort the screw issue.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Could you send a picture of the iBooks bottom and mark the screw, which is causing the problem?
I've opened several iBooks yet but didn't encounter such a problem. But you are right, it's a hassle to open them ...
InkedIMG_20170429_144755_LI.jpg
This is the bad one
[doublepost=1493472287][/doublepost]
Can you get an external DVD drive thats compatible with PowerPC Macs? That could be a good workaround while you sort the screw issue
That's the strange part: My external drive isn't recognised at all! I can use the same drive on the eMacs, the Mini and the PB without any problem
[doublepost=1493472593][/doublepost]
Or get another cheap iBook with working DVD-drive and use it via FireWire/Target-mode ... ;)
That's no option! I'm very stubborn when it comes to problem solving :D even when the odds are against me.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
View attachment 697870
This is the bad one
[doublepost=1493472287][/doublepost]
That's the strange part: My external drive isn't recognised at all! I can use the same drive on the eMacs, the Mini and the PB without any problem
[doublepost=1493472593][/doublepost]
That's no option! I'm very stubborn when it comes to problem solving :D even when the odds are against me.
You should be able to open the iBook.
Follow the steps on iFixit.
That screw sit a the location close to the display, where the bottom has to be released as the final step.
Obviously the screws thread is damaged and it should come out of its counterpart as soon as you lift the bottom.
If you are lucky, the corresponding nut is still ok - otherwise you may leave out that screw, when reassembling the iBook.
You may try a strong magnet on that screw before or maybe solder another screw on to to it that can be used as a handle to tear the screw out of its hole...
To look for another cheap iBook or even better Powerbook is a very good alternative.
My experience is, that the 15" 1.5/1.67GHz G4-Powerbooks are easier and cheaper to find than the 12" Powerbooks.
But you have to check, that both of the RAM slots are working, since a lot of these 15" Powerbooks tend to have one defective RAM-slot leaving the Powerbook with the maximum option of only 1GB of RAM.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
The soldering might be worth a try. Simply lifting and pulling didn't work out, the screw had no intention of moving upwards the slightest bit :D

To look for another cheap iBook or even better Powerbook is a very good alternative.
As my signature might suggest, I already am the happy owner of a PowerBook ;)) there is no actual need for another PPC laptop as i own the iBook and the PB. But I'm trying to put all my PPCs to a 'nearly new' condition and now after several eMac and PB fixes now the iBook gained my attention ;)

If the soldering won't work I think I have to destroy the lower case, then cut off the screw head. Get the drive working and replace the lower shell. Actually that might be fun :D

Forgot to mention above: I already had it nearly open. If it wasn't for that single screw I could have lifted off the lower case.

And why I'd like the iBook to have a working drive is that I'd like to sit in my bed and watch DVDs without the annoyingly loud fans of the PB :D iBook runs much cooler and therefore quieter

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
The soldering might be worth a try. Simply lifting and pulling didn't work out, the screw had no intention of moving upwards the slightest bit :D
As my signature might suggest, I already am the happy owner of a PowerBook ;)) there is no actual need for another PPC laptop as i own the iBook and the PB. But I'm trying to put all my PPCs to a 'nearly new' condition and now after several eMac and PB fixes now the iBook gained my attention ;)
If the soldering won't work I think I have to destroy the lower case, then cut off the screw head. Get the drive working and replace the lower shell. Actually that might be fun :D
Forgot to mention above: I already had it nearly open. If it wasn't for that single screw I could have lifted off the lower case.
And why I'd like the iBook to have a working drive is that I'd like to sit in my bed and watch DVDs without the annoyingly loud fans of the PB :D iBook runs much cooler and therefore quieter
Ah, stupid me, didn't read your signature ...
Sorry, that you owe a 14" iBook - otherwise I could send you a spare bottom for a 12" model!

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Have you tried drilling it with an extremely small drill/dremel? You could possibly just get the head off of it so you could lift the cover off without damaging it. Then you only have the screw to worry about.

Reactions: bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Have you tried drilling it with an extremely small drill/dremel? You could possibly just get the head off of it so you could lift the cover off without damaging it. Then you only have the screw to worry about.

Yeah, make an appointment at the dentist! ;)

(PS: good idea - is there a #1 or even metal drill available? The smallest one I used had been a #2 one which has a slightly bigger diameter than the screw but could separate the screws head from it's shaft)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.