Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Well, Im a bit upset. On Thursday, while writing a presentation for school, I managed to pour the best part of a good cup of coffee over the keyboard of my 1.33 GHz 12" ibook. :eek: :mad:

The first thing I did was to pull the battery out and turn it upside down. But it started fizzing and the screen died before it turned off. What followed were some of my finest expletives followed by a bout of depression. After several days drying my book is dead!

But, as I am fully insured against accidental damage (in case of write-off, replacement for original value) and I did a full backup a couple of days beforehand I'm not too worried. So I will be taking it in to be looked at tomorrow.

Which gets me thinking, if it's a write-off (and it probably is). Shall I just get them to replace it with a 2,0 GHz MB or do you think I should pay the difference and try and get an 2,16 GHz 15" MBP? With either system, I plan on maxing out the RAM, adding Aperture and eventually CS3. Maybe with the MBP an external screen would be an option eventually. I am a serious hobbyist using (or at least until the coffee incident) CS2 + DPP.

Maybe I'm counting my chickens before they're hatched, but if my ibook is shot then I'm thinking that now would be a good time to upgrade. I have after all shot 12,000 frames in the last 10 months with my dslr.

What do you think? Any advice appreciated.:)

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
I have a white 2GHz CD macbook. I love it! the size is great! and it is fast. If you go with the macbook make sure you have at least 1 gig of ram especially if you are using CS2

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
Well, Im a bit upset. On Thursday, while writing a presentation for school, I managed to pour the best part of a good cup of coffee over the keyboard ...

What do you think? Any advice appreciated.:)

Well, if you want it replaced due to "accidental damange," you may want to revise your exposition, and particularly, change the verb "pour" to something that reflects what I'm assuming was not a deliberate act. :)

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Hey first off i want to say that i totally feel for you, i've had some casualties in my mac past as well.

But on the good side you get to get a new Mac!! Anyway I have a 2.0 mabook rev. a not the C2d ones and i think you'll be very happy with it. While i love the aluminum finish, i like the small size and the hd replacement option, i think you should really only consider a pro if you need fw 800 or pc express card slot, other than that i think it's full of few distancing luxuries, not enough to justify the price difference. Hope that helps.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Do you have an external monitor? If you don't, and don't plan on getting one, then get the MBP. Otherwise, the MB may be an option.

I'd also get the MBP if you're running Aperture, as it'll be more than tolerable running it on a MBP. I have a MB and it's "OK" at running Aperture. I wouldn't want to do it every day, though.

Don't edit with the MB's screen. It's not the colour saturation or brightness that's the issue. The vertical viewing angle makes the MacBook a no-go. The centre of the screen is always brighter than the top and bottom edges, but if you lift your head up a bit, the top edge of the screen appears normal brightness, so this isn't due to uneven lighting. The horizontal viewing angle is poor, but it doesn't cause a vignetting effect like it does in the vertical direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.