Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejosuem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Recently I was driving on the freeway from work to my house. I saw a lady having trouble with her flat tire, so I pulled over to help her fix it. When I pulled up I saw she did have tools so I went back to my car to grab some tools to help. When I was walking back I saw a phone on the ground, I asked the lady if it was hers. She responded with a no, so I put it in my pocket and proceed to help. When I got home I put the iPhone to charge to see if it was working since it looked like someone through it out the window by how damaged it was. I soon as I saw the apple logo turn on I put it in DFU mode and restored it. The phone restored perfectly fine, but now I have an iPhone 6 Plus that has an iCloud activation lock which means I'm not able to use it because the previous owner has their account set on it. I was wondering if there is some way to remove it other than using DNS server? Would Apple take care of it? Or will they think it's stolen?

Attachments

• 20170721_141545-1.jpg
    20170721_141545-1.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 566

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Likely ended up on the pavement for the same reason --- locked out.

No, Apple can't help you, unless you can show acceptable proof of ownership.
So, no, Apple can't help you.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well it is stolen. You took it and it didn't belong to you.

Apple will only unlock a phone if it belongs to you and you can prove that by having the original purchase receipt.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
now I have an iPhone 6 Plus that has an iCloud activation lock which means I'm not able to use it because the previous owner has their account set on it.
The "previous owner" is still the owner. If you want to do the right thing, check which carrier the phone is on (either from the logo in the top left corner or by looking at the SIM) and return it to a store of that carrier. If there is no SIM in the phone, you may be able to identify the carrier by IMEI number (which is printed in small print on the back) by using a site like http://www.imei.info/. The carrier can identify the owner and return the phone.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It's considered lost or stolen. I would look up the IMEI or other identifying number and find out the carrier. Return to the local corporate store. That or just give it to a local police station.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.