Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Hi,

Can someone tell me is it possible to make more then one backup of the iPhone on one iCloud account and to choose which version of the backup i will download on my new iPhone when i buy it?

To be more specific, now i have iPhone 6s and next month i will buy iPhone X. On iPhone 6s i have 200+ apps, some of them are useful - some are not. I want to make two backups - one with all apps, then delete those apps i am not using and make one backup just with 20-30 apps i use. Can i do that? Or iOS will delete the old backup and leave just the latest one? I have more than enough space on my iCloud.

zj116

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
Washington, USA
To my knowledge you need to do the following:

make your first backup on iTunes
press Command + "," or open preferences in iTunes
under the right hand tab right click on the backup and select Archive
save this archive by copying it somewhere else, like on a flash drive or another file then where iTunes stores it.
delete your unwanted apps and then repeat the process, archiving the file and storing it somewhere else just in case iTunes devices to delete it. (you can do this by right clicking again and selecting show in finder)

as far as doing this on iCloud Im not as positive if this is possible, I only know how to do this process with a computer.

Also, if you do this you can just upload those files that you archive to iCloud anyways, instead of a flash drive for example

Reactions: eddimax

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
thanx @zj116

one more question. i have noticed that every time i delete some photo on my iphone - that photo is gone on my icloud account too. when i buy new iphone i dont want to download old photos to new phone, i just want to keep them on icloud ...BUT if icloud sync photos app on my iphone with photos on icloud - will icloud delete all photos there when they see that photos app is empty on my iphone (because its new)? i know its maybe a stupid question but i can see that every time i delete some photo on my iphone - icloud delete that photo too so i dont want to lose them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.