Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
My iPhone8 won't back up to icloud when plugged in and connected to wifi. I have signed in and out of my account and rebooted the phone and have the latest software. Help appreciated. Thanks

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
OK, thats one thing I haven't tried. Thanks.
[doublepost=1518453671][/doublepost]Its still not backup up, after resetting network settings

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
My iPhone8 won't back up to icloud when plugged in and connected to wifi. I have signed in and out of my account and rebooted the phone and have the latest software. Help appreciated. Thanks

Try deleting your old iCloud backups from the phone (settings > your name > iCloud > manage storage > backup, and delete any backups listed under “backups” on that screen. Then try doing a backup manually: settings > your name > iCloud > iCloud backup > backup now. If it’s successful, then after 24 hours, check to see if another backup completes automatically once the phone has been plugged in and connected to WiFi for awhile. Eventually it will work. I had this issue last year when I had an iPhone 7 and deleting old iCloud backups followed by resetting network settings made the backups work normally again.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Try deleting your old iCloud backups from the phone (settings > your name > iCloud > manage storage > backup, and delete any backups listed under “backups” on that screen. Then try doing a backup manually: settings > your name > iCloud > iCloud backup > backup now. If it’s successful, then after 24 hours, check to see if another backup completes automatically once the phone has been plugged in and connected to WiFi for awhile. Eventually it will work. I had this issue last year when I had an iPhone 7 and deleting old iCloud backups followed by resetting network settings made the backups work normally again.
Thanks, I’ve followed this and it’s finally backed up. Really helpful answer more so than the Apple helpline!

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

That is usually the best way to fix this issue if reset network settings doesn't work, and iCloud is indeed set to backup to the cloud while the phone is on power, wifi, and locked. Sometimes the old backup is corrupt and can take an incremental backup.

But, be sure to tell people to backup to a computer via iTunes BEFORE they delete their old iCloud backup, to have a backup of the backup.

BTW, does "reset all settings" also "reset network settings" at the same time? My brother is having this issue, and he reset all settings and is backing up again tonight after deleting his old incomplete backup this evening, and I need to know if I should tell him to "reset network settings" too if that didn't work. I found this thread while googling his issue.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
That is usually the best way to fix this issue if reset network settings doesn't work, and iCloud is indeed set to backup to the cloud while the phone is on power, wifi, and locked. Sometimes the old backup is corrupt and can take an incremental backup.

But, be sure to tell people to backup to a computer via iTunes BEFORE they delete their old iCloud backup, to have a backup of the backup.

BTW, does "reset all settings" also "reset network settings" at the same time? My brother is having this issue, and he reset all settings and is backing up again tonight after deleting his old incomplete backup this evening, and I need to know if I should tell him to "reset network settings" too if that didn't work. I found this thread while googling his issue.
Good advise, I always backup to the Mac before deleting anything like a cloud backup.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010

Yes, “reset all settings” also resets network settings.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I also suggest using a third party program like iMazing to backup your phone. Unlike iCloud backup, you can save multiple backups under iMazing, along with a plethora of other features that iTunes lacks. iMazing checks the integrity of each backup once it is finished.

Do not solely trust your iCloud backup.

** I am not affiliated with iMazing. Just a happy consumer.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, “reset all settings” also resets network settings.

Reset all settings worked as expected, so he didn't need to reset network settings after that - I walked him through returning all his settings to the way they should be, after the reset but before he did the backup, as he didn't know reset all settings could have fixed it and saved him the trouble.

Now his backup is being restored to an old iPhone 6 that we reset and replaced the battery, and then I can mail it off to him to insert his SIM card and he's all done upgrading (except for moving find my friends to the new iPhone).

Reactions: mattguy10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.