Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lodewijk_Ramon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Does anybody know wether Apple backs up their enormous iCloud database(s). I read all about what I should do to have backups of my software and data. Part of that I entrust Apple with by for example making iPad-backup's on iCloud. but I also entrust Apple with my entire photo library in iCloud.
So I am curious how safe my data is in the iCloud, are there multiple databases, kept synchronized at any time, are there snapshots, or entire backups? I trust that this is done in a responsible way, but I am just very curious how it works and what is done.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Apple certainly has the iCloud data backed up...multiple times, multiple sites. I don't know the details.

Do not rely on a cloud-backup-only situation as a complete backup solution for any of your data.

Lodewijk_Ramon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Brian, thanks for your answer. Of course I am not relying on only Apple Backup. But for example making a new backup/copy of a large iCloud photo library takes a lot of time (if you have to download all originals). So I won't do that on a daily or hourly basis. Therefor it is interesting to know how Apple handles these databases. I almost suppose that they have parallel identical copies, which are synchronized continuously.
Hopefully somebody working in this field at Apple reads this thread. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.