Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcarlson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I'm in the process of switching from Dropbox to iCloud Drive.

I upgraded my iCloud storage to a suitable size to cover all my Dropbox content, then created a new folder in my iCloud Drive called "Dropbox" (I'm ready to migrate, but not ready to organize!), then dragged all the files in my Dropbox folder (/Users/<username>/Dropbox) into my iCloud Drive Dropbox folder (/iCloud Drive/Dropbox).

The folder itself, and all of the files contained therein, showed the iCloud logo with a single slash through it. I did some research and found that this icon means the file is "not eligible for sync to iCloud".

Backing up a step, I put all my files back in the real Dropbox folder and did a little test.

Make a folder in iCloud Drive called "Dropbox", and it won't sync. Rename it to "DB" (or some variation) and it immediately starts syncing. Rename it back to "Dropbox", and it stops syncing again!

So, is Apple intentionally blocking folders named "Dropbox" from syncing?!?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This might be a safety thing, since you could locate your Dropbox inside iCloud, in which case you'd want the Dropbox app to handle the syncing, not iCloud. Don't know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.