Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I’m pretty sure this is new, and haven’t seen anyone else talk about it yet. In macOS 15 you now have the option to keep select files which you’ve stored in iCloud Drive downloaded on your local disk.

Am I right in saying this is new?

IMG_5807.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Interesting!

Is this exclusive to iCloud or can any Storage service that uses the fileprovider API (e.g. Dropbox) use this feature?
I haven’t tried any other services yet but if I had to guess, I would think this is iCloud exclusive - my reasoning being that when you install 3rd party storage apps they generally put their own set of functions into the menu. Interested to find out, though!

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I haven’t tried any other services yet but if I had to guess, I would think this is iCloud exclusive - my reasoning being that when you install 3rd party storage apps they generally put their own set of functions into the menu. Interested to find out, though!
Ok, I just tried Google Drive and my suspicions appear to be correct - Just iCloud. There’s a spiffy new icon to indicate when files and folders are kept locally, too!

IMG_5838.jpeg

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
Hmmm. I want the exact opposite of this. I never want my cloud content to fill my Mac up. That’s why I put it in the cloud.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.