Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hello! I know someone who wants to keep their desktop in sync across two Macs. The two obvious options to me are to either turn on iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folder sync, or use Dropbox with a link to the Desktop folder.

I think both options will work, but what I'm hoping can happen is that any layout changes (the way folders are arranged on the desktop) can be preserved. Does anyone know if either of these will accomplish that, or of any other reason I should use one or the other?

Thank you!

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Dropbox can do that...if I'm understanding correctly.

I know it can keep the files in sync with a link, but I'm curious if either one of them will keep folder arrangement (e.g., a folder on the left side of the desktop and a folder on the right side) synced between two computers.

I also don't know how this is handled when two machines have different resolutions. Sadly I don't have two Macs to test this before we try it "live."

Thanks again for any input!

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I know it can keep the files in sync with a link, but I'm curious if either one of them will keep folder arrangement (e.g., a folder on the left side of the desktop and a folder on the right side) synced between two computers.

I also don't know how this is handled when two machines have different resolutions. Sadly I don't have two Macs to test this before we try it "live."

Thanks again for any input!
Oh...i don't think db does that like the way uou described.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.