Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsYkOoOoO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
[Please skip to Post #3 for the latest update!]

Hello everyone,

I've spent the entire weekend so far trying to get this resolved. I hope the experts here will be able to help me out.

I took the plunge last night with Apple Music. I already have local music files stored on my iMac that I have obtained from various sources over the years. What I want is for me to 1) listen to the entire library on my iMac at home 2) listen to the entire library on my iPhone and 3) listen to the entire library on my iMac at work. Three devices. All the music that I own.

Apple Music promised this to be a seamless transition, just as long as I turned on iCloud Music Library. I did that on my iMac at home and iPhone and... something weird happened. Songs either disappeared or they were duplicated on my iMac at home. I've tried every which method to have this resolved but to no avail, so I have turned to alternative streaming sources instead.

Spotify seems like a good choice, and what I want to do is to transfer all my songs on my iMac at home (local files) onto Spotify, so that I can stream everything, everywhere. So far, however, I haven't been able to do so.

I do not consider myself an IT luddite at any rate. I am fairly well versed with other areas of my Apple universe. iTunes, Apple Music and music streaming in general, however, seem to confound me to no end. Even after trying Apple Music out last year, the service is still a tangle of complexity for me.

Please help! I appreciate it, guys.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Apple Music isn't really complicated. I deleted all the synced music from my iPhone and iPad. Then I signed up for the Apple Music subscription in iTunes on my pc, and it began scanning my 13000 song local library (on an sdcard plugged into the pc). That took an afternoon and a full night.
When it finished, I turned on Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad.

PsYkOoOoO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Apple Music isn't really complicated. I deleted all the synced music from my iPhone and iPad. Then I signed up for the Apple Music subscription in iTunes on my pc, and it began scanning my 13000 song local library (on an sdcard plugged into the pc). That took an afternoon and a full night.
When it finished, I turned on Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have decided, instead of going with another streaming service, I am putting my head down to give this another shot.

I have attached a screen shot of one of the main problems I am experiencing with iTunes with iCloud Music Library turned on. As you can see, this is a screen shot of an album called The Devil's Walk by Apparat. Within the album, there are duplicates of each song: one that says "Removed from iCloud" and the other says "Waiting". There are also some that says "Download". I understand that "Update iCloud Music Library" should fix the "Waiting" issues but, having tried it a few times, the "Waiting" cloud still appears all over iTunes. Songs with "Removed from iCloud" are, as the name suggests, not synced up with the cloud at all and, thus, I am unable to listen to them on my iPhone. This is strange, because some albums are obviously available on Apple Music, but it is not being matched with my local copy.

Is there a way to rectify this?

Current Status:
1. iCloud Music Library turned on for both iMac and iPhone.
2. I also want to point out that, due to storage constraints, I synced only checked songs in my library. This meant that there are many songs that are unchecked, simply because I didn't and couldn't sync the entire library with my iPhone (I have too many songs and they don't all fit). Does this have anything to do with the situation?

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 5.09.32 PM.JPG

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
2. I also want to point out that, due to storage constraints, I synced only checked songs in my library. This meant that there are many songs that are unchecked, simply because I didn't and couldn't sync the entire library with my iPhone (I have too many songs and they don't all fit). Does this have anything to do with the situation?

Probably. Once you commit to Apple Music, there is no more syncing with your desktop iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.