Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OhSoSterling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
I have been dealing with the most annoying problem with my iCloud not syncing properly. It works like a charm for all my devices save the MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" Laptop. I use 2 computers. My MBP for my home office. And my MacBook Air M2 laptop for travel use. I use my MBA to create a lot of documents on the fly and then edit or finish them on my MacBook Pro from home. I've noticed now that every time I create a document (typically in pages or text edit but other times I'll create Numbers or Keynote Doc's) from my MBA and save it to my documents folder in iCloud Drive, it wont show up in finder from my MBP. No matter what I do I can't get the documents to show up on my MBP unless I wait like 2-3 days and then it will randomly appear. So I tried doing it the opposite way to see if it was an issue with iCloud, or my computer. All my settings matched on both computers. This time I created a document from my MBP instead and saved it to my Doc's folder in iCloud, to see if it would show up on my MBA. and sure enough, before I could even get my eyes over to the screen the document was already there. Showing up in iCloud exactly like its supposed to. But that does not help me. I need it to work this good the other way around. From my MBA to my MBP. So I got in touch with Apple support. Ultimately there solution was to have me restart my computer and that did work to sync the test documents I had been creating from my MBA, to my MBP finally. I was relieved. But just to be sure I created another document from my MBA to ensure it would continue working the way I need it to. What a surprise, the same issue happens. No luck syncing docs from MBA to MBP but works like a friggin charm syncing from MBP to MBA. The weirdest thing is that when I create a new note using the notes app, it shows up right away. So something has got to be going on thats causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am out of ideas. The service team does not seem to be able to do anything that I can't do and I only know as much as the average guy who uses computers frequently.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I use my MBA to create a lot of documents on the fly and then edit or finish them on my MacBook Pro from home. I've noticed now that every time I create a document (typically in pages or text edit but other times I'll create Numbers or Keynote Doc's) from my MBA and save it to my documents folder in iCloud Drive, it wont show up in finder from my MBP.

When you have saved it on the MBA does the file show on the iCloud website?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So am I correct that:

MBA uplink is immediate
MBA downlink is immediate, i.e. accessibility of a file just added to icloud by another device?

MBP uplink is immediate
MBP downlink may take days

OhSoSterling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
Yeah you have that right.

After doing some digging online, I read about setting up a new administrator test user and linking it to iCloud to see if it’s isolated to the admin account I am currently having issues with.

The test user profile worked without issue.

The solution for me ended up being a full erase and reinstall.

Backed up all my files, erased everything on the MBP, and reinstalled from my external hard drive.

It’s works perfect now but took nearly a full day of research/backing up and reinstalling everything.

Hope this helps saves someone else some time/headache in the future

Reactions: nick42983

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Yeah you have that right.

After doing some digging online, I read about setting up a new administrator test user and linking it to iCloud to see if it’s isolated to the admin account I am currently having issues with.

The test user profile worked without issue.

The solution for me ended up being a full erase and reinstall.

Backed up all my files, erased everything on the MBP, and reinstalled from my external hard drive.

It’s works perfect now but took nearly a full day of research/backing up and reinstalling everything.

Hope this helps saves someone else some time/headache in the future
Must be super nice to have that fixed. But what a PITA to have to erase the machine like that. Glad you are all sorted.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I've seen iCloud not work as expected if I'm connected through a VPN or "VPN-like" service.

Reactions: Meuti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.