Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I have a Photos.app photo library on my Mac which is about 178GB. I had this successfully synced with iCloud until a couple of months back when it stopped syncing properly. To fix this, I tried disabling iCloud Photo Library (on all my devices), but rather than delete all the photos from my iCloud account, it left about 36GB worth on photos on there. I tried re-enabling iCloud Photo Library, but iCloud claimed I didn't have enough iCloud storage space as I have 200GB and it said my library was 178GB, but I already had 36GB used up with the remnants of the broken library (i.e. 178+36>200).

I disabled iPhoto Library again and this time left it for a month so my photos on iCloud would be permanently deleted, and the storage space appeared again as free. I then re-enabled, and left it to sync, but it stopped when it reached 36GB (the same as what got 'stuck' in there before). Tried calling Apple Support and they suggested I go into my iCloud photos via www.icloud.com and delete them manually, but when I realised that the only way of doing that was one-by-one, with 2500 photos, I didn't bother.

Instead I created a new, empty photo library, set it as the system library and synced that with iCloud - which cleared out the 36GB. However, when I reverted to my proper library and set it to sync, it synced the same 36GB of photos again and that's it. It doesn't give any error messages, it just seems to think that only those 36GB worth of photos need to be uploaded every time.

The only option I can think of is to import all my photos into a new library, but then I'll lose all of my albums etc which I really don't want to do.

Anyone got any suggestions on how I can totally reset all the sync data and get this thing working again?

Reactions: Aquaporin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.