Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rjofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Hi, I would like to know if it is worthwhile opening an ICloud account to share phtos on a selective basis.

What I want to do is to upload only those photos I wish to share with certain friends, not all my photos in Mac Photos. I do not wish to upload all my photos, only the ones I choose.

I wish to be able to choose the friends I want to share one set of photos with and other friends with whom I wish to share other photos.

So I do not wish to give people complete access to all my photos on ICloud.

Is this possible? If so what are the settings to use to obtain this and avoid having all my photos uploaded and shared with all my friends ?

Thanks for all advice,
Rojofo.

Rjofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you for this rapid reply, Alrescha. Does this mean that I can choose the people with whom I share the photos?

I mean if I share my London holiday photos with Mary does that mean that she has automatic access to my Berlin holiday photos that I wish to share only with Bob ? Thanks once again.
Rojofo.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thank you for this rapid reply, Alrescha. Does this mean that I can choose the people with whom I share the photos?

I mean if I share my London holiday photos with Mary does that mean that she has automatic access to my Berlin holiday photos that I wish to share only with Bob ? Thanks once again.
Rojofo.
No - you create shared albums with photos you want to share and choose who can see them. You can have as many shared albums as you want and each one can have different people accessing it

Reactions: M. Gustave

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008

Yes. If Mary has an Apple ID, you can share only to her. If she does not, you can create a URL and send it to her (the URL is randomly generated - but it will work for anyone who knows it, so keep that in mind).

I would suggest you try this with a few photos and see how it works.

A.

Rjofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you, T'hain Esh Kelch and Phil A, this is exactly what I wanted to know.
Best wishes,
Rojofo.
[doublepost=1474899535][/doublepost]
Yes. If Mary has an Apple ID, you can share only to her. If she does not, you can create a URL and send it to her (the URL is randomly generated - but it will work for anyone who knows it, so keep that in mind).

A.

A.

Yes this is precisely what i was wanting to know. Not all my friends have Apple IDs and I generally don't know what that might be. Thanks, Rojofo.

Rjofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you, T'hain Esh Kelch and Phil A, this is exactly what I wanted to know.
Best wishes,
Rojofo.
[doublepost=1474899535][/doublepost]

Thanks to this good advice I have now set up an album which I wish to share. How do I generate a URL to send to those friends that I wish to share it with ?

Thanks for all advice!
Rojofo.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
How do I generate a URL to send to those friends that I wish to share it with ?

To share the album:
Select the pictures or album and click on the Share icon in the upper right (the up arrow).
Choose iCloud Photo Sharing.
Choose New Shared Album.
Fill in a name for this album.
Click Create.

Photos will create a new shared album and upload your pictures.

For your non-Apple friends,
Select the new shared album under Shared
Click on the People icon in the upper right (next to the Share icon)
Check the Public Website box
Copy and send the URL to your friends.

A.

Rjofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you, Alrescha, for taking the time and having the patience to explain this.

I had worked out the first part and got to the people icon. Now, with your advice, I understand how to share with the URL.

Perhaps I should add that I am going through this process in order to copy the legends that I put on the photos in Iphoto and Photos; I wish to share these legends with the photos, otherwise the photos have no meaning. I used to use Picasa for this and it worked fine. GooglePhoto can no longer copy the legends (as far as I can determine from my own failure to do so and some time spent searching the web to see many other users complain like me).

So I am turning to an Apple product like ICloud so that these legends can be uploaded and shared with the photos.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the legends are not on the photos on ICloud and that I have wasted my time. I am waiting for my friends to let me know if they can see the legends but I am not optimistic.

Thank you nevertheless for your time.
Regards,
Rjofo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.