Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
... I have just purchased a Canon PowerShot G10 to complement my Canon 1Ds kit. No printed manual but a 300 page PDF to "browse" through! I have the feeling that if Apple were to produce an equivalent (or better) camera - the manual would be considerably smaller; the LCD screen would be touch-sensitive (with no sub-menus); and it would work directly after unpacking it without having to charge its battery first.

But what would it look like; and what technological breakthroughs would be incorporated?

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
ever since the rumor of a 7mpx iPod coming out, i thought that apple would jump into the consumer digital camera world. I am not sure how it would look, but i garuntee it would be REALLY simple. Maybe one or two buttons max on the back, probably touch screen display.

I could see them really doing well with a consumer digital camera. Not so much with a high end one, just a camera that point and shoot folks would love. I recently bought a canon 1100, which i love, and its very simple to use, but i can definitly picture a iCam

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
quicktake100.jpg

I doubt Apple is all that eager to jump into the digital imaging game again...

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Say even if Apple was going to come out with a digital camera, would any one serious about photography want to use it?

It would probably be dumbed down for the sake of simplicity.

Why wouldn't they just work on improving the camera on the iPhone first? Adding features like a nice high quality optical assembly (like Nokia and Sony Erricson), lower noise sensor, ect.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
quicktake100.jpg

I doubt Apple is all that eager to jump into the digital imaging game again...

This.

Glad someone else took care of the snarky QuickTake 100 reference without me having to find a picture of it, though. :D

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Here you can learn all about most models in the Apple QuickTake line. I think that is bolsters those who believe that there will be no return to digital photography for Apple.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Interesting wiki link. 24 bit color? And everyone says pixels don't matter ;p

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
It would use a RAW format that only Aperture could use. All editing would take place within the menu settings and Steve Jobs would declare Photoshop a dead piece of software since the majority of camera users now only use iPhoto or such. It also would not have the ability to change out the lenses, since that would create too much confusion for the user, instead relying on the stock 24-150 that fits most needs.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They'd tell you what you should and shouldn't be able to photograph with the camera based on the types of things that Apple believes you want, and don't want, to photograph. They'll take away features, make the battery non-user replaceable, and tell you that it's better because the camera is 2 mm thinner than before. Most people don't replace their battery anyway, right? Right? Hello? It would also use a proprietary file format that can only be opened with iPhoto. You'll be able to put your photos up onto a webpage straight from iPhoto, but only to websites that are "Made on a Mac".

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
They'd tell you what you should and shouldn't be able to photograph with the camera based on the types of things that Apple believes you want, and don't want, to photograph. They'll take away features, make the battery non-user replaceable, and tell you that it's better because the camera is 2 mm thinner than before. Most people don't replace their battery anyway, right? Right? Hello? It would also use a proprietary file format that can only be opened with iPhoto. You'll be able to put your photos up onto a webpage straight from iPhoto, but only to websites that are "Made on a Mac".

I see we had the same thought.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
... I have just purchased a Canon PowerShot G10 to complement my Canon 1Ds kit. No printed manual but a 300 page PDF to "browse" through! I have the feeling that if Apple were to produce an equivalent (or better) camera - the manual would be considerably smaller; the LCD screen would be touch-sensitive (with no sub-menus); and it would work directly after unpacking it without having to charge its battery first.

But what would it look like; and what technological breakthroughs would be incorporated?

It would look like the Canon PowerShot A2000 IS.

You can go read the specs on that and figure out why I just bought a discontinued PowerShot A590 IS instead.

Say even if Apple was going to come out with a digital camera, would any one serious about photography want to use it?

It would probably be dumbed down for the sake of simplicity.

You mean getting rid of simple things like the manual controls, which is what Canon did on the PowerShot A1000 IS and A2000 IS, thus leaving them with no compact camera that uses AAs that retains manual controls?

You'll be able to put your photos up onto a webpage straight from iPhoto, but only to websites that are "Made on a Mac".

Which might be alluding to one of my beefs, which is how iWeb will only 'snych' to .MAC for incremental updates. For all other ISPs, you have to publish to a folder and upload the whole site again. I did just found that I have an Adobe PageMill license laying around...maybe its time to try it out.

-hh

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I don't see why Apple should make a camera when other, established manufacturers do a good job.

The G10 is an enthusiasts camera, a camera for people who want to have something more portable than a dslr with lots of functions. If you want a `simple' camera, I'd say you bought the wrong one.

I just got an Olympus mju-840 for my parents for Christmas and the printed manual is not longer than 10 or 15 pages. Very simple to use. Surely nowhere nearly as capable as my D80. But still plenty for my parents.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007

The camera would only have one button, and you shake it to take a picture (the shake-adjustment feature for the resulting blur won't work in release one, but an update will come out quickly which will help a lot).

Additionally, the Apple camera will introduce mini-jpg(tm), which is like the free and open jpg standard, but smaller and somehow better. Unfortunately, it will only work when using the new $75 cable (sold separately).

Finally, the camera will not shoot RAW because, as we all know, RAW is a bag of hurt.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not sure if Apple would be to eager to compete with pro cameras (slr's, medium/large format digital, etc), but I have no doubt apple would not mind having a p&s.

Trouble is, they've already got one in the iPhone. My guess is they'll add a camera to the iPod touch and just plain make those cameras better as technology improves. Making a standalone device would probably not be a success unless Apple had something seriously revolutionary to bring to the table (like what?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.