Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
If M$ bus Yahoo, then I fear the M$ blight will swallow up Flickr. Just look at what happened to hotmail after it was acquired by M$. It's become an Outhouse web clone.

Are some of you guys planning on migrating away from Flickr if M$ buys Yahoo!? If so, where do we go?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Go to SmugMug, if you're that worried. They've tried to get things pretty seamless for flickr émigrés.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm paid w/ Flickr through 2009, so I figure I'll have a pretty good idea whether MS decides to ruin it before the time comes to renew.

I'm a bit concerned that MS will start tieing in a bunch of stuff with iView/Expressions Media, so that some features will only work with that software. But I can't imagine that actually working, since it's not like they've got any significant user marketshare to leverage in this case. So I guess it's just wait and see...

BTW I am guessing you (the OP) are a free Flickr user, not a paid member? It'd help if you'd clarify, because there are plenty of paid alternatives.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Nothing more to worry about.... they called off the bid so no transaction will occur.

Now we can wait and see if the shareholders sue them for not accepting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.