Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
widescreens are grat for photo editing, as you will ahve more space to put your tools.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Well, there are a number of opinions on this one, and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. First off, remember that there is no right answer in terms of fulfilling your needs, but you'll get quite a few opinions here based on personal experiences.
If you're looking for an LCD (and given your links, I'm assuming you are), then there are a couple of things to look for in a display. First of all, make sure that it's an 8-bit display (colors matter), and that it has a high contrast ratio- 1000:1 would be sufficient. You won't need an 8ms monitor, unless you're planning on running Doom3 with your 8800, but since you asked about PS, we'll assume you aren't.
Basically any monitor that you get within those parameters will be fine. Go for bigger name brand- Samsung are descent, SonicView, LG, and maybe Gateway. Apple displays are nice to look at, but I doubt they are that much better than the rest (hint- Phillips makes the LCDs for the ACDs, and they also own LG).
A wide pannel, doesn't mean that your image will be distorted, just that you'll have more horizontal real estate.

Cheers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you want to get an LCD for photographic purposes, aim for the slowest response time possible. Why? Because the LCDs with the fastest response times use LCD panels that are the least appropriate for photography, and most appropriate for gaming. They're actually very cheap panels, but that's ok.

I'd aim for an LCD with an S-IPS LCD panel, but they do cost a bit more.

The easiest way to tell if it's an S-IPS panel is if you look at the monitor at an angle. Look at a black colour facing head-on. If you then look at it at an angle, the black should begin looking purple. It's the only flaw of S-IPS, but the colours are more accurate, and stay that way for a long time.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Widescreen monitors create no distortion unless you use a 4:3 aspect ratio and turn on some kind of stretching. Your computer adjusts for the aspect ratio of the display.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you want to run photoshop and alike which of these monitors would be best?

If color rendering is what you want then in general look for longer response times. If they are listed as 4ms they are optimized for games or maybe office work. Notice Apple's ACD displays are closer to 16ms. There are a few different display panel technologies. If yo can afford it you want one that uses an i-ips panel. Apple uses these in the ACD. The TN panels are the low-end panels used for games and office work

Read this. Next follow the links at the bottom of the page and there is one were you can look up the specs for almost any monitor. to see what kind of technology it uses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

But then at the end you have to pay for it. The TN panels are far cheaper so then you have t decide how important is Photoshop and photography.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
To the person who said that the Apple Display arent that good...

The 20'' is a normal screen but the 23'' is among the best screen one can get for photography/PS. Contrary to any other 24'' is has a perfect brightness and contrast and the pixel aspect ratio is better (same nbr pixel as 24'' but on a 23''). There was a post a while ago with the technicalities about the 23''.

If you go for the 30'', both Apple and Dell use the same panel so pick the Dell.

I am personnaly using the Apple 23'' and its better than I could ever hope it to be. Totaly satisfied and glad I didnt take one of the 24'', or even worst, the crap 22''.

As someone pointed out, when you want a screen for production use, the required specifications are totaly different than one for gaming. You want consistant color across the screen, no color variation from one day to the other, etc...

nightsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
What is a-si TFT/TN

Is a-si TFT/TN similar to S - IPS lcd panels? Considering HP, Plana, Nec, LG, some Samsung models. Surprised to find really poor user reviews for Samsun LCDs? Thanks

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004

nightsky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
Refurbished LCD Monitors Option?

Anyone have experience with refurbished LCD monitors? Are refurbished LCD Monitors a good option. My PB G4 came like new and wonder if LCD monitors would as good a buy?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I were to buy a monitor, I'd buy the Dell 20" and pray for an S-IPS version of that model. Actually, they all seem to include S-IPS panels now, which makes it fantastic for the price.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
As others have said, widescreen is no issue at all (so long as you set the display output to the appropriate resolution...)

TN is even worse than PVA from what i've read.

If I were going to buy a monitor, I'm afraid my choice might be a bit expensive, the NEC 20.1" 20WMGX2, at $570. It uses yet another type of panel, AS-IPS, which is a new development of the S-IPS panels that offers great brightness, higher contrast ratios and response times with great color accuracy. The technology is reputed to be second only to premium A-TW-IPS panels used in certain very costly LCDs.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
If I was going to buy a monitor it would be Dell widescreen with the highest resolution I could afford and NOT the largest physical size. For example the 22" widescreen display is keeper than a 20" but with Photoshop resolution is the most important thing.

Dell 24" is the best in terms of value for money and size, but the 20" is fantastic for the money also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.