Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
New 2012 Mac, come with Catalina and Sonoma. Looks like a solid machine.
The seller put a fresh os on with the dual boot.
Would there be any reason to be concerned? Would you just use it as is or do a fresh install?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Personally, any used electronics I buy get a factory reset and complete fresh install, as close to new as I can get it. I like to know that whatever potentially will go wrong is my fault and not due to some quirky selection someone made when installing the OS, along with the standard security concerns.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I would create a macOS 10.15 Catalina USB installer, boot that, erase the internal disk, and install. You may also be able to do that from Recovery Mode. (I am guessing that for your Mac, Catalina is the most recent supported version of macOS).

Unless you consider yourself knowledgeable about macOS, do not get involved with a more recent unsupported version of macOS using OCLP.

Reactions: mrk123

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I would create a macOS 10.15 Catalina USB installer, boot that, erase the internal disk, and install. You may also be able to do that from Recovery Mode. (I am guessing that for your Mac, Catalina is the most recent supported version of macOS).

Unless you consider yourself knowledgeable about macOS, do not get involved with a more recent unsupported version of macOS using OCLP.
Yes this mac has the open core patcher, but the seller put it on, i have a limited understanding of how it works, but could not iuse sonoma in the end due to certain 2020 programs not installing.. So I am now using Cataline, shame as Sonma looked pretty fly.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You didn't tell us WHAT Mac you have and what the year of manufacture was.

Considering it came with 2 OS's -- which suggests to me that the internal drive is partitioned -- then, YES, I'd wipe it and start over.

Open Core?
Unless you know how to use and MAINTAIN that, you're playing with fire.
Put a SUPPORTED version of the OS onto it, and use that.

EXCEPTION:
You could use one of dosdude1's "Mojave" or "Catalina" patchers, which I reckon are more stable than OCLP.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013

Considering it came with 2 OS's -- which suggests to me that the internal drive is partitioned -- then, YES, I'd wipe it and start over.

Open Core?

EXCEPTION:
You could use one of dosdude1's "Mojave" or "Catalina" patchers, which I reckon are more stable than OCLP.
I have put a load of software on my catalina os now, not sure i want to go through all that again, was stressful.
Can i just get rid of the Sonoma easily? Or how hard can it be to update the opencore?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Or how hard can it be to update the opencore?
When it works, it is simple.
When it goes wrong - you have to understand its limitations and how it works.
Can i just get rid of the Sonoma easily?
Post the output of the command diskutil list and we can try and help. The tricky part is that OCLP will have modified the EFI partition.
But, as many of us have said, better to erase the whole disk and start again with a used computer in an unknown (mixed OS) state.

Reactions: mrk123

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013

Open Core?

EXCEPTION:
2012 - 15 inch... quad core i7 - 16gb upgraded ram - 1tb ssd.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
When it works, it is simple.
When it goes wrong - you have to understand its limitations and how it works.

Post the output of the command diskutil list and we can try and help. The tricky part is that OCLP will have modified the EFI partition.
But, as many of us have said, better to erase the whole disk and start again with a used computer in an unknown (mixed OS) state.

Wasn't sure what you meant with command diskutil. Here is a screen grab?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 22.18.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 22.18.03.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 27

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Open Terminal app. Type: diskutil list. Hit return and report the output.
macbookpro@MacBook-Pro-Catalina ~ % diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 1000.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +1000.0 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Sonoma - Data 30.0 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Catalina - Data 65.3 GB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Preboot 5.5 GB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume Recovery 1.8 GB disk1s4
5: APFS Volume 10.6 GB disk1s5
6: APFS Volume Update 507.9 KB disk1s6
7: APFS Volume VM 6.4 GB disk1s7
8: APFS Volume Catalina 11.2 GB disk1s8

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Make sure you have a backup of whatever is valuable - in case of disaster.
Then:
1: APFS Volume Sonoma - Data 30.0 GB disk1s1 is the Sonoma read/write disk and can be deleted.
5: APFS Volume 10.6 GB disk1s5 is probably (the size is about right) the Sonoma read only volume - it can be deleted too.
(by deleted, I mean go into Disk Utility, select the volume and use the minus symbol to remove).

That gets rid of Sonoma and recovers 40GB space.

But you will still have 1) OCLP modifications to the EFI partition (1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1) and 2) Recovery and other small volumes (used by both Sonoma and Catalina) which have modifications for Sonoma. So you will not have a clean Catalina.

As I and others have said, you should erase the whole disk and do a clean install of Catalina - from a USB boot disk or Internet Recovery. Anything else and you will never quite know the cause any future issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.