Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Went out to capture the sunset this evening at the lake... had what I thought was enough space on my phone available... 200+GB free. Shot ProRes of the sunset, within 24 minutes completely maxed the storage to where it wouldn't even let me take ANY video. However... the video I did get is absolutely amazing, best I've ever seen from any phone... notice the 15GB+ 3 minute video I took, one of many. My takeaway from this is that if I could go back I'd totally get the 1TB version. If you do any halfway serious shooting in ProRes (say on vacation), I can't for the life of me figure out how the 256GB guys will make it work!

Edit: Now I'm sitting here waiting on hundreds of gigabytes to upload over wifi...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Apple iPhone 13 Pro.PNG
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 491
Last edited:

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Well… I just played back one of the videos on my M1 iPad Pro 12.9… absolutely GORGEOUS. Really… if you’re taking video of anything you care about, you want it in 4k30 Hdr ProRes!!

Reactions: fstoprm

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Having no issue with 512 in my use case. I am definitely going to start calling this the iPhone 13 "Prosumer" however. This device has no business still having a lightning port. With regards to video quality, my Pixel 6 pales in comparison, however it is MUCH easier to deal with copying 4K-60 video off of it due to it having USB-C and higher speed IO. When I do time critical work for my clients, I will not shoot ProRes on this current iPhone. It is just far too slow to reliably get videos off of it for my time critical video interviews / edits.

40 second video of Fall colors, 4GB in size, just under 2 Minutes to copy over via cable from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro M1. It is now sitting and copying about 100GB of video from doing a fall color filming session. It will sit doing this into the night. I am not sitting and waiting.

Reactions: fstoprm and phill85

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I stopped bitching about lack of SD card slots in iPhones 7 or 8 years ago?

However, this is one case where SD card slot is sorely needed. Imagine having a couple of 1TB SD cards with the iPhone.... you can fill up the first 1TB card with video of aliens mothership landing a couple of miles from Waikiki Beach... take the card out.... pop the 2nd 1TB card in and start shooting video of the US Space Force launch a counter attack once they realize that the aliens intents are totally hostile.

Reactions: phill85

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I agree to the extent that I'm sure I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro, as long as they'll take an 11 pro max trade in. I want the max 1/2tb storage, and HOPEFULLY they have a reasonable way to get gigantic file sizes off of this thing by then?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I agree to the extent that I'm sure I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro, as long as they'll take an 11 pro max trade in. I want the max 1/2tb storage, and HOPEFULLY they have a reasonable way to get gigantic file sizes off of this thing by then?
Hopefully, Apple finally switched over to using USB-C on the iPhone 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.