Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
While browsing the web the other night I stumbled across something that I thought might be of interest to some people around here.

It's called "Canon Hackers Development Kit" (CHDK)
Now dont let the word "hack" scare you. It's actually a real simple process of copying some files to your memory card and then "booting" them through the camera. The good thing about this is every time you turn your camera off it returns to it's regular firmware so there is no harm done.
Some note worthy features of the CHDK are:

RAW - CHDK can record raw files, giving you access to every bit of data the sensor saw, without compression or processing. Raw files can be manipulated on the camera, or processed on your PC. CHDK also has experimental support for the open DNG raw standard.

Override Camera parameters - Exposures from 64s to 1/60.000s with flash sync. Full manual or priority control over exposure, aperture, ISO and focus.

Bracketing - Bracketing is supported for exposure, aperture, ISO, and even focus.

Video Overrides - Control the quality or bitrate of video, or change it on the fly.

Scripting - Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced bracketing, and much more. Many user-written scripts are available on the forum and wiki.

Motion detection - Trigger exposure in response to motion, fast enough to catch lightning.

Edge overlay - Detect the edges in a scene, and display them later. Ideal for timelapses, stop-motion, stereography and much more.

Live Histogram - CHDK includes a customizable, live histogram display, like those typically found on more expensive cameras.

Zebra-Mode - Displays under and overexposure areas live on the screen.

GRIDS - Create custom grids and display whichever one suits your shooting conditions.

Multi-Lingual Interface - CHDK supports about 13 languages, and adding more languages is simple.

DOF Calculator - Display detailed DOF information on the screen.

Customizable OSD - Improved display of battery status, free space, camera parameters, and much more. Fully customizable with an on-screen editor.

Filebrowser - Manage files without a PC.

Textreader - Display text files on your camera.

Games - Play Reversi, Sokoban, Mastermind or 4-in-a-Row on your camera.

USB remote - Simple DIY remote allows you to control your camera remotely.

Benchmark - Compare the performance of your SD cards.

User Menu - Edit your own customizable User-Menu for fast access to often used features.

There is even more features than what I listed here.
Check out http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK or Google "CHDK"

Enjoy

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
(eyes get big, raises hand...)

I LOVE Canon P&S....

The Cessna on our club's homepage was taken with an A460:

http://www.neoflites.com

I tried taking pics with my A470 from work, but the higher pixel count didn't match the quality of the A460.

NOW I CAN SHOOT RAW???

:eek:

You, sir, are my newest hero...

:D

Will follow directions and post pics for the A450. Will wait for the A470.

BTW: These cheap-o cameras are now a much better value... :D

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Before you go and find this out, let me inform you. Your Canon will shoot RAW, but it's not a format that your standard picture editors can interpret. Here is one that will open those files: http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html

Picasa will also open those crw files.

good luck. Oh, and you are about to find out just how noisy those little sensors are!:eek:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
@ gkarris- Hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

Just tried it on my A460 (don't have it yet for my work's A470).

It's sooooo way coooool.

So many features added. Sort of weird having dSLR features on an $100 P&S... :eek:

Trying out different compatible RAW programs for it on the Mac and PC, will post some pics!

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I've had this for a while for my S3 and almost made me not upgrade to DLSR. It's very slick, though having to take the extra step in converting the RAW files is a bit of pain (but worth it) and all the additionals features are awesome.

whatsgooddan

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
NY, USA
Wow! This is so cool.

I thought I was cool by turning on manual mode and editing the settings myself! Now I have even more settings to play with!

You won't be able to take the camera out of my hand now! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.