Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you Bought an M1 iPad partly for M1, do you now feel happier about buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t have an M1 iPad

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Some people bought an M1 iPad Pro last year and were unsure if it was going to be worth it. There was a segment of WWDC 21 that talked about how different the M1 was going to be in iPad Pro.

I actually made a post after WWDC asking who was getting their iPad all packed up.
We now know that this was not some slick marketing scheme to get people to purchase overpowered iPads for no reason.

There is a saying that you don’t buy a device because of what it might be able to do, but we see lot of people apparently do buy iPads partly based off of the new features that they will get. There are a bunch of posts talking about selling their iPads because they’re not getting Stage Manager and even talking about their iPads as if they’re no longer functional.

And of course now we also know that there were enough people who wanted Pro features that Apple decided to do something.

For those who thought about returning or selling their M1 iPad but decided to hang on, how do you now feel about what Apple is doing?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The only uncertainty I had with the Mini-LED 12.9 was PWM-induced eyestrain/headaches. Thankfully, that went away after a couple of weeks so I didn’t have to return the iPad.

That said, I am happier now not because of Stage Manager but due to Virtual Memory Swap (granted, I rarely get reloads on 16GB anyway).

I still stand by not buying a $1K+ device for unknown potential new features if said device doesn’t meet your needs now. Apple has never guaranteed an existing device will get all the features included in software updates. There’s plenty of precedent for gating new features to newer and/or higher end devices, as well. In general, you’re better off saving your money and buying an even better, newer, faster device when the software gets the features you want.

Reactions: kazmac

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I was happy already because of the mini LED screen and it was my first bigger iPad but happy to see them moving forward. This feels like a foundation being laid for future improvements

Reactions: iPadified

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The M1 12.9 iPad Pro was the upgrade to wait for beceause:
- mini LED
- M1
- TB4

The last 2020 iPad Pro was basically the 2018 iPad with 1 extra GPU core. So the M1 iPad Pro was the 1st real upgrade in years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.